Furled Leaders

Questions about Freshwater Fishing

Furled Leaders

Postby Steve Root » Mon Jan 01, 2007 9:27 pm

Hi Larry,

I stumbed across a website that was expounding on the virtues of using furled leaders, especially their ability to turn over large flies. My passion is topwater Bass fishing so this caught my interest. Have you ever tried one of these leaders and if so what did you think of it? I don't have much enthusiasm for spending $12.00 for one of these things so I'm experimenting with making them on my own. So far I have a 7 foot long tapered fulred leader made out of 2lb mono that will turn over a hair bug with my 6 weight, so that's promising.

Hope the New Year finds you well.

Steve Root
South St. Paul
Steve Root

Postby dahlberg » Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:29 am

Hi Steve,
Years ago, I did a detailed investigation into leader/fly dynamics with the help of a very high powered physics guru.
The inescapable conclusion is that a leader made of uniformily dense material and shaped with a descending tapered leader cannot "kick over" a fly.
It in fact, will turn over better if tied on backwards.
Of importance is that the butt of the leader be of similar stiffness and to some degree diameter, as the flyline to which it is connected.

Of ultimate importance in the leader turning over is the momentum of the fly, which of course is affected by both its' weight and air friction, PLUS the velocity at which it is propelled by the caster.
In other words, the fly turns the leader over, not the other way around.

Take the butt end of a leader in your hand and try to cast it in a nice loop that turns over crisply. Now try it backwards, holding the tippet end and casting the butt.
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby Steve Root » Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:25 pm

Hi Larry,

OK, this is starting to make more sense to me. First and formost there's no substitute for line speed, is there? I guess that's why I'm a better caster in the morning than I am in the afternoon after I'm worn out and tired :lol:

The furled leaders I've made so far are very limp. Perhaps their supposed ability to "turn over a fly" really means that it's easier for the fly to pull the limp leader around with it at the end of the cast.

Thanks for the info!

Steve
Steve Root

Return to Freshwater Questions