Wide glide

Questions about Freshwater Fishing

Wide glide

Postby DanielS » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:11 pm

Hi
How would you fish the big wide glide in a heavy current like situation for striped bass at night? I picked one up(awesome looking lure) to use at night for striped bass. Trying to nail a 50 lber out of a large cement canal.
DanielS

Re: Wide glide

Postby aka anglinarcher » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:42 pm

I'm not Larry, but I don't see how you could fish a gliding or walking bait in current. The lures work by fishing with enough slack to allow the lure to move left and right on the drift after the "jerk". In current, the water removes that slack so fast that the lure can not drift. JMHO and experience.
I think my bucket list has a hole in the bottom!
aka anglinarcher

Postby dahlberg » Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:48 am

The wide glide, and most good walking baits are lethal in current if you know how to use them.
In fact, I can toss them in the water directly downstream in an anchored boat and without reeling in any line at all make them walk back and forth in place.
Usually the best way is to fish them in a down steam direction allowing the current to enhance the glide (by pausing longer after you jerk)on the down stream stroke.
You can also swing them (cast at angle up stream and allow to swing to downstream during retrieve) and after the swing do a bunch of stationary zig zags. Try to swing them so they "turn the corner" just up stream from where the fish are positioned.
It might take a little practice, but once you get the tug length and strength/timing down it becomes automatic.
I rank this technique in the top three most useful for almost predator species that use current!
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby DanielS » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:16 pm

Looking forward to using it. Will let you know when I stick a giant.
DanielS

Postby aka anglinarcher » Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:19 pm

I stand correct and have got to give this another try. Thanks Larry
I think my bucket list has a hole in the bottom!
aka anglinarcher

Return to Freshwater Questions