Florocarbon bite tippet for musky/pike

Questions about Freshwater Fishing

Florocarbon bite tippet for musky/pike

Postby flyfishing1 » Sat Jan 01, 2011 8:36 pm

I'll be using 12 to 18 inches of line either in 80 or 100lb. size while flyfishing for these fish but the real question I have is knots or crimps? If knots which ones? I've done some research on this but I'm really just asking what do the board users use?
flyfishing1

Re: Florocarbon bite tippet for musky/pike

Postby dahlberg » Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:28 am

Hi FF1
First ask yourself, why do I use a leader? Answer, to prevent bite offs. Second question, what are the pro's and con's of various choices?
After a little thought you should come to the conclusion that the leader that weighs the least, allows the fly to operate as it should and prevents bite offs is the best choice.
I've had 3 pound pike nip through 80# fluoro like it was thread. The diameter of equal strength wire vs fluoro falls in favor of wire by a factor of about 10.
Crimps are reliable if done properly, but always add more weight than a knot.
If you insist on using fluoro, a 3 shouldered uni is the best knot.
The best option I've found from the standpoint of least weight, best fly performance, lowest visibilty, and highest reliability is wire in the 27# to 45# range.
I use nylon coated. I tie a bimini in my leader, attach it to wire with a double nail, then either twist melt it or tie it with a 3 shouldered uni .
I've used this system for 40 years and found it to be the best.
good luck,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby flyfishing1 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:00 pm

Thanks for the advice. I've been using light knotable wire like Cortland Toothy Critter and Tyger and really love the way it ties just like normal. I have been looking at floro for visibility reasons. To think about the target species, they are known to be aggressive and not leader shy. If they don't bite they either aren't hungery or the angler hasn't found out what is triggering them that day. Finding the trigger will make much more difference than a pencil thin line of 12 to 18 inches in front of the lure. I'll still practice rigging with heavy florocarbon for just in case times. You are very correct, I could use 30lb braided wire that is as thin as 10lb mono and not get bitten through. Thanks for jump starting my thought process.

P.S. Double uniknot works great on those knottable steel leaders.
flyfishing1

Postby Justin C » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:00 am

I like 100# floro when you are really into the pike, that way I don't have to stop and try to straighten wire - on a trip to Nueltin last year I would often catch 50+ pike (many over 40") on the same leader. i couldn't get bit off - maybe I was lucky?

Justin
Justin C

Postby dahlberg » Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:35 pm

yup.
And I do hope your luck continues! I'm sure you agree we don't need any big giant huge 30 year old pike choking to death on a big hook and bunch of animal hair tied to it.
If they get it just right it's like a couple of razor blades scissoring it.
With all due respect to all anglers choices, in all regards that's both ethical and within the law,

L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby flyfishing1 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:26 pm

That is an other thing for me personaly to consider too. I've been making most of my streamers on stainless saltwater mustad hooks and those won't rust out at all if they get bitten or broken off. I'll look into the seven strand wire you mentioned in an other topic on here Mr. Dahlberg, that is said to be knottable too.
flyfishing1

Postby dahlberg » Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:42 pm

7 strand can be knotted, but it's not easy to do without getting kinks. I usually use the nylon coated stuff and twist melt it.
It does ties albrights and double nails ok though.
The more flexible 49 strand stuff is much easier to work with, but as I mentioned you just have to keep an eye on it and change it when you begin loosing strands.
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Return to Freshwater Questions