Whopper Plopper for Peacocks

Questions about Freshwater Fishing

Whopper Plopper for Peacocks

Postby hurdisct » Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:49 am

Larry,
What has been your luck catching Peacocks on a Whopper Plopper? Are they attracted to the sound like a musky?
hurdisct

Re: Whopper Plopper for Peacocks

Postby dahlberg » Fri Dec 17, 2010 8:54 am

All fish relate to sound, but I've used the Whopper Plopper yet for peacocks. In the past I've tried all the various types of plopper lures that are popular for muskies and had rather poor success with peacocks. I suspect it's because they do not operate very well at the speeds peacocks usually require to trigger them on a lure. The whopper plopper operates well at high speeds, so it's a strong maybe for peacocks. We are in the process of making a smaller whopper plopper which operates great both at a nerve racking super slow crawl to a high speed burn. I have a feeling it might be killer for peacocks.
I've got some totally unprovable somewhat whacky theories about the difference between "aquatic", "fish chasing fish" sounds versus "terrestrial", "I'm in the water and don't really belong here" sounds that also might apply to peacocks.
thanks for the post, and have a merry christmas!
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Re: Whopper Plopper for Peacocks

Postby emanon » Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:47 am

When I saw the show on lure sounds, I knew you were going that way......terrestrial vs bait etc......keep posting as to results, it's very interesting and informative, and i can't think of any one really exploring this train of thought to the level you are....makes guys like us out here take notice ...we live to fish but can't devote all of our time to it so we look to guys like you to do it ....it's a tough job but......
emanon

Return to Freshwater Questions