Golden Dorado

Questions about Freshwater Fishing

Golden Dorado

Postby Dom250fish » Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:09 pm

Tips on fishing Golden Dorado in Argentina. What is the best season, moon, conditions? Hear a lot about La Zona but prefer to fish a natural setting and have availability of other species. Any information, what to watch for and avoid would be appreciated.

Dom Porcelli
Dom250fish

Re: Golden Dorado

Postby Bob Daly » Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:39 pm

Check out Tsmaine Lodge in Bolivia for large variety with good dorado. However it is fly fishing only. Have not fished there but heard great things. I have fished La Zona numerous times and you cannot beat it for monster dorado. You might check out the lodges in Ibera Marsh, the Pantanal. Heard good things on Los Gringos Lodge. Check out Steve Yatomi site www.adventuretravelalliance.com which is linked up to Larry's site.
Dorado are a fantastic sport fish. High recommend you give it a try.
doradokiller
Bob Daly

Re: Golden Dorado

Postby Anglermanagment » Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:35 pm

I was lucky enough to make it down to Tsimane lodge in Bolivia to do a week of fishing. The trip was phenominal. You do not get the same size fish you do in La Zona but you do get a solid amount of 20 lb fish and the rivers are beautiful. As mentioned before it is fly only, and I believe it is already booked for 2011. A few things I picked up about the Dorado. As Mr. D has stated numerous times speed is the name of the game, although we did catch some drifting dry flies. Another important feature, for these rivers atleast, is rain in moderation. Dorado are highly migratory and the fish reach natural dams and can't pass them unless there is rain. The dorado also seem to shut off during colder days. If you get the chance to fish Tsimane make sure you drag some flies at night. The catfish are awsome and LARGE. My dorado "skill" is lacking due to only fishing for a week but these are just a couple tid bits of information I picked up. The link below has some pictures of my trip to Tsimane.

http://s960.photobucket.com/albums/ae86 ... de12/2010/
Anglermanagment

Return to Freshwater Questions