Turnover troubles

Questions about Freshwater Fishing

Turnover troubles

Postby MuskieTom » Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:09 pm

I recently visited a lake where I usually have great success. Not so this outing. My target was Largemouth and my friend and I were unsuccessful in getting even one fish. In talking with other anglers that day who had the same results they mentioned that the lake was turning over. I was wondering if you have experience fishing for bass during turnover and If you had any success? What presentations or areas should I try? Oh also the lake has Muskie and I'm wondering how it affects them? Thanks for the help
Tom
(C)atch (P)hoto (R)elease
MuskieTom

Re: Turnover troubles

Postby dahlberg » Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:41 pm

If you don't find fish in any remaining vegetation (including deep pads), fsh steep breaks (especially inside turns and tips of points) outside the largest shallow weed covered flats and food shelves. I like to find the steepest breaks where the old weedline was situated immediately adjacent to the primary breakline.
For bass, I like using a jig and pig (much prefer pork over plastic at that time), or better yet a jig with a live waterdog or frog rather than pork.
Fish will be in tight schools, and usually bite well when you find them. In reservoirs fish the outside bends of the old river channels. especially those near large slop infested shelves. Just one piece of good horizontal wood in the right place can be a gold mine. I had a log I fished in fall in a small reservoir in Brainerd, MN where every single year I lived there caught a bass over 7 lbs.
good luck,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Re: Turnover troubles

Postby MuskieTom » Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:56 pm

Thank you Larry
I know of just a spot. It's an outside bend of the river channel that comes in near the shore and is adjacent to a large weed bed. It drops down to 23 feet really quick and there are plenty of stumps and logs. Will try it Asap.
Tom
(C)atch (P)hoto (R)elease
MuskieTom

Return to Freshwater Questions