chain pickerel DARN BUGGERS!! HELP NEEDED!!

Questions about Freshwater Fishing

chain pickerel DARN BUGGERS!! HELP NEEDED!!

Postby shenlonco » Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:35 am

Hi Guy's i need some help!!
I found this spot it's loaded with pickerels but i can't land hardly any due to the conditions i have to fish in!
Here is the deal i have to fish from land and there is like15 Foot of dense weeds then about40ft or so of open water then a little long iland with another 20 foot of very dense weeds the kind with big leaves and white flowers the roots are about almost a 1/2 inch round and there are other types of weeds mixed in also... Any how here is the deal i cast into the weeds with a rigged heavy worm made weedless it's very hard to work it through it but onb like every other cast i get nailed it's nearly impossible to get the fish out of it they always end up getting off? and when i get one on because it bites just near the end of the weeds then i get it tawards the land to hit another 15FT of weeds again that's in front of me and most of the time they then get in it and get off again!!! it's driving me nuts!!! I am using a 6ft M fast ST croix avid rod with yozuri hybrid 6LB test with spider wire for a leader.

I try and get the fish in fast and try and get them to come up and slide them over the weeds but they are not like bass and they just stay sidways and i can't get them up over on top of the weeds?

I am in a crazy situation i have to reel em in fast so they don't go into the weeds but maybe the hook is tearing into the mouth making a big hole from this wich then makes them come off?.... and i can't reel them in slow or they will go down in the weeds and definitly get off?... I amd thinking yank em out of the weeds try and play em to tire them out in the clear body of water and when i get to the waters edge with the other 15ft of weeds they may be so tired i then can get them through it and on land?

I got some nice ones but i would say 80% of the time i lose them!!

Any input on how i should fish to land these suckers will be great.

THANKS
Shenlonco
shenlonco

Re: chain pickerel DARN BUGGERS!! HELP NEEDED!!

Postby steelneal » Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:12 pm

I'd beef up that line some and haul them straight out. also i would switch to a bite proof leader. throw a top water bait and drag 'em out right over the top
steelneal

Postby shenlonco » Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:34 pm

Maybe a braided line?
shenlonco

Postby dahlberg » Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:45 pm

I'd go with steelneals suggestions all the way!
good luck,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby rbenash » Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:21 am

Same here. Thing is - you will get the fish in, not get bit off and get your lure back. I know the frustration from fishing the ponds on Cape Cod. Very similar. So use 20lb braid (I actually prefer a bait caster for this type of thing) no or least amount of terminal gear between line and hook to minimize any hang up on the "drag over top of the cover".

In the end I have found that if you are interested in C&R fishing the pickerels are pretty sensitive and don't handle well AFA time out of the water - so this is good for them and you.

BUT - best fun is maybe invest in a cheap Kayak hull and get on the water and fish in the opposite direction for best play/fun for you, quick release and more flexibility overall. Casting into the beds and pulling into clear water is a blast. I love the way they hit top-water (frogs, etc). I have caught many on blade baits as well. They are beautiful fish IMHO. In my experience you can kill them by fighting them too long or taking too long to get that hook out and getting them back in the water.
rbenash

Postby tileguy » Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:50 pm

Get rid of the short stick and mono. A good 7' rod, preferably a Loomis MB843, and a good reel spooled with 30lb suffix braid will do the trick. 30lb is only 6lb mono diameter so casting distance is not an issue. Sounds to me like you have too much lure and not enough rod, reel and line.
tileguy

Postby steelneal » Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:27 am

Hey Shenlonco!
Any luck with them pickerel? Are you going to try for some thru the ice?
Steel
steelneal

Postby shenlonco » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:47 pm

This is a old thread i started but I fished through the winter time as the pond hardly was covered with ICE all this year and the funny thing i was catching the pickerel straight through november till now...alot better than in the summer time when all the weeds abig lilly pads do ya in!!
shenlonco

Return to Freshwater Questions