salmo slider 12

Questions about Freshwater Fishing

salmo slider 12

Postby nstenni » Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:44 am

I have been fishin this lure quite of bit lately with good luck for pike. one problem i have is the leader wrapping the hook. what leader length and material do you recommend. Is there any thing i should do on my retrieve to prevent this.
nstenni

Re: salmo slider 12

Postby dahlberg » Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:59 am

hi N
That pblm can occur with lots of different glider type zig zag type lures, especially those that turn radically left and right.
If your timing is perfect and pops, pulls, twitches, slack and pauses are just perfect (gotta be able to see the lure to get it right) of course the problem is much reduced, but rarely eliminated.
Be sure your leader doesn't have a heavy swivel on the front of it. Use a small welded ring instead.
Another couple of options, which is somewhat hard for me to describe in detail are:
1) Use nylon coated wire and tie direct to your line with a double uni knot.
2) Using power pro hollow ace line, create a nearly weightless, hingeless, "wind on" leader by inserting 80-130# fluoro carbon inside the line. I plan on shooting a demo of it sometime later this season.

I have the same thing happen occasionally with my wide glide. When it happens you can feel the difference in resistance when you pull it. I've found if I just give it a few twitches with slack following the twitch and it fixes itself and often results in a strike right after wards!
hope this helps!
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby nstenni » Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:09 pm

thanks larry that does help. i have been using home made leaders with a big spro swivle so i can fix that and i will keep my eye out for the demo. those gliders seem to be pike magnets. i just ordered the smaller salmo slider 7 today and can't wait to throw it out as well. thanks for all your help
nstenni

Postby Shawn Kellett » Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:04 pm

Another thing you can do that I do with the baits I make is to add a cable tie to the hook hanger on the side that you don't want your hook to go. Example: if your hooks are coming together, add a cable tie to the back of the front hanger and the front of the rear hanger. This restricts the movement of the split ring, but shouldn't affect the baits action so long as you're using a small tie and trimming it tight.
Shawn Kellett

Return to Freshwater Questions