Border crossin' blues

Questions about Freshwater Fishing

Border crossin' blues

Postby Voletear » Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:40 pm

I can't get across anymore. Old DUI - like 1984. Never had any trouble before. (BTW, the US doesn't bar Canadians from coming here for a DUI! As one of our Border Guards told me - as I walked back across the bridge at Ft Francis - "We'd have to refuse entry to most of 'em!") Now it's time for the big family trip and I'm bummin. Anyone have any useful advice for getting through without their 'Red light' going off? Do they computer-check everyone now? Jeez! - I just wanna go fishin! I'm pushing 60; what am I gonna do? - for Pete's sake.
Voletear

Re: Border crossin' blues

Postby dahlberg » Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:08 am

Hi V
Yours is a sad tale, but one I've heard many times before. Of course the law is ridiculous. I'd surmise about the only way it might get changed is if all the fishermen in the USA would boycott canadian fishing, but that's neither realistic or fair because it would have a terrible effect on lodge owners, guides etc. who would then have to protest the government, etc. in hopes they'd fix it by next season.
What's especially absurd is when they turn someone away who's headed to a fly-in lodge and traveling by plane from Minneapolis and will not be behind the wheel of a car while in canada!
Really stupid law, no doubt written and passed by a bunch of stupid politicians.
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby Henry Schmidt » Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:44 am

Of course I dont know the complete story but, have you tried to get your record expunged? The constitution allows every citizen to petition one charge/arrest from their record be expunged off the record. It requires an attorney and of course money, but people get it done all the time.
Henry Schmidt

Postby Voletear » Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:22 pm

Well, I've looked into Canada's 'procedure' for addressing this and, let me tell you, it's a doozie. They take your 250$ (I think that was the amount, anyway) and, if they decide to turn you down they just keep it. Yeah, and it takes over a year for them to do it. There are people who say they will do it for you for $750 and get it quicker but Canada is warning of scams in this regard. You must also gather all the records involved in your case no matter how old. In my case, the county involved (in another state) "archived" all records "that old" and for them to dig through the basement for them would have cost big-time.

The worst part of all this is they're supposed to let you in if 5 years has elapsed, 10 if there's more than one. But the agent has the power to over-ride that, I guess, since it's been over 25 years in my case.

I know they have to be on the lookout for terrorists and such but this is hurting a lot of good people (it's not just the one they deny entry to but friends, family, and, especially - kids) and you'd think with all the money and technology going in up there that they could come up with a system that was a little more selective in who they do this to.
Voletear

Return to Freshwater Questions