white bear lake

Questions about Freshwater Fishing

white bear lake

Postby fishfanatic24 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:35 pm

Larry,
on the opener i had some luck on white bear. i was throwing a daredevil for northerns and a 50-55 inch muskie came right up to the boat. he looked at the spoon and slowly swam away. also on the way back i saw another 45+ by the landing. i have a secret spot on this lake that no one seems to fish. i would love to catch my second ever muskie. what should i throw and what should i do if another fish follows?
thanks for the help,
Fishfanatic24
fishfanatic24

Re: white bear lake

Postby box » Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:02 pm

If you have a secret spot on that lake don't tell a soul - no kidding. I fish there a lot and have a good crew of guys that are also musky nuts who share info and I found out that a lot of MY "secret" spots were also THEIR "secret" spots. Point is that lake takes a pounding and the fish seem to get edcuated real quick out there. I've been out there quite a bit after walleyes at night earlier this year and I'm afraid there were a bunch of fish caught before the season so they might be pretty educated already. There were lots of guys fishing skis before the season opened this year...
As far as trigerring the following fish I'm sure Larry can give you more specifics but if it showed no real interest at all in your bait I'd back off and give her a minute or 20 and come back from a different angle and different retrieve. Something about your daredevil attracted her in the first place so maybe a variation of that - same colors different lure or just a different speed could be the trigger. I'm by far not an expert when it comes to muskies (I HAVE A LOT TO LEARN) but I think that the fish that eat in the 8 are more often triggered by the speed change than the direction change. I've done okay trolling and more times than not a fish hits when the rod is being pumped as opposed to when its just riding in the holder. Just my $.02 but I'll be anxious to see what Larry adds.
box

Return to Freshwater Questions