Night fishing marinas

Questions about Freshwater Fishing

Night fishing marinas

Postby box » Wed May 12, 2010 11:37 am

Hi Larry -
I'm in the twin cities and fish a lot of the metro lakes. As you know, most of those lakes (and the river) have marinas on them. Most of those marina's are pretty well lit. Have you spent much time targeting those after dark for muskies? My father in law has a place on Marco Island and we fished snook at night under the lights. I'm thinking the same effect could be in play for the fish up north. Lights attract prey (bugs and bait) pigger predators come in to eat the panfish who are eating the bait?
Does that make sense?
thanks - erik
box

Re: Night fishing marinas

Postby dahlberg » Wed May 12, 2010 11:40 am

only one way to find out!!
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby Brian » Tue May 25, 2010 9:04 pm

Erik,

That is one method I use on a nearby lake when the water is high during spring and early summer. Not for muskie, but it is killer for smallmouth bass and crappie fishing at night. Not to mention we usually catch at least one pike each time we fish at this marina, and some very large walleye have showed up from time to time to feast on the opportunity. I would say definitely try this. Most anglers I talk to say that pike won't bite at night. This proves to me that they in fact do, so why not try for muskie the same way.

Take Care

Brian
Let's Go Pens!
To the Cup!
Brian

Postby LakeRaker » Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:19 am

Pike do feed at night. I have caught them well into the night time in QC on live(or dead) bait on walleye trips. Had a big northern rip a stringer off the side of the boat over night with a couple 'eyes on it too, sounded like a gator attack from inside the cabin. I'd try the marina at night, you've got nothing to lose but sleep.
LakeRaker

Return to Freshwater Questions