freshwater lure

Questions about Freshwater Fishing

freshwater lure

Postby leftcoast1 » Fri May 07, 2010 4:32 pm

What artificial hard bait in your opinion has the most big fish triggers built into it? It doesn't have to be a year round bait, species specific, or of any particular size (flies excluded). Thanks!
leftcoast1

Re: freshwater lure

Postby dahlberg » Sat May 08, 2010 12:00 pm

Hi L
That should be a fairly easy one, but the more I think about it, the tougher it really is to answer. It's the "built in" part that makes the question interesting. Discounting any number of lures that can be trolled or retrieved to bump bottom or objects, or fished at higher than "average" speeds,and those that are neutrally buoyant. after very careful thought I might have to say the old wooden Helin's Flatfish might be my answer, but I'm still thinking about it. Note I am making a distinction between triggering and attracting qualities regarding the "most magic" lure in question.
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Re: freshwater lure

Postby leftcoast1 » Sat May 08, 2010 8:09 pm

[quote="dahlberg"]Hi L That should be a fairly easy one, but the more I think about it, the tougher it really is to answer. It's the "built in" part that makes the question interesting. Discounting any number of lures that can be trolled or retrieved to bump bottom or objects, or fished at higher than "average" speeds,and those that are neutrally buoyant. after very careful thought I might have to say the old wooden Helin's Flatfish might be my answer, but I'm still thinking about it. Note I am making a distinction between triggering and attracting qualities regarding the "most magic" lure in question.
best
L[/quote]

Those flatfish were a mainstay growing up chasing salmon in the NW! Those early jointed Gamefishers are quite radical as well.

I'm glad your making a distinction between triggers and attracting qualities. To make things even more interesting maybe you could list two, one that is casted and is meant for a straight retrieve and one that has action influenced by the angler :) Both stock of course!
leftcoast1

Return to Freshwater Questions