fishing trip advice

Questions about Freshwater Fishing

fishing trip advice

Postby andresbotero » Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:05 pm

Hello Larry, a friend and I are thinking about going on a fishing trip this june and came up with the idea to ask you for advice. As you know I went fishing for peacock bass in january and I'd really like to try to fish for Dorados but don't know if june is a good time.
We would appreciate any input you can give us (any other suggestions as to what species and locations are welcome).
Thanks in advance.

Andres Botero
Colombia
www.pescantioquia.org
andresbotero

Re: fishing trip advice

Postby dahlberg » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:41 am

Hi A
They are spread throughout a fairly large region so I'm not sure about best times and place. In the larger systems they are also very mobile, traveling hundreds of miles.
Many of the larger systems can be very murky and in those cases the key to catching them with lures is to find clean water.
An equally exciting, and usually more interesting species is the giant Wolf fish which you can contact in Suriname. Alejandro Linares can fill you in on all the contact info there.
Hope you have a great trip! But, I have to ask, with so much great fishing in Colombia why you'd be headed to another country!
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby JRisapirate » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:48 am

You can catch Dorado/dolphin from NJ down the entire US eastern coast come July. If you are trying to go in June I would recomend North Carolina/Cape Hatteras or southern Florida/Keys.. As these are the only places other than Nj where I have caught them..

Good Luck..
P.E.T.S. Member
JRisapirate

Postby dahlberg » Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:20 am

hi JR
Thanks for offering the advice, but he's referring to a freshwater fish called a golden dorado which is found in South America.
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby JRisapirate » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:37 am

Ahh I guess I should of realized that since it's in the freshwater section, is that one of the fish you are holding up in the intro to your show?
P.E.T.S. Member
JRisapirate

Postby Bob Daly » Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:29 pm

For what I have heard, June can be questionable for the golden dorado at places such as La Zona. All depends on the water levels as they can get high and murky during June. I would go at a different time of the year if given a choice. 8)
doradokiller
Bob Daly

Return to Freshwater Questions