Big Pike near fast water

Questions about Freshwater Fishing

Big Pike near fast water

Postby slayerofslabs » Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:44 pm

Larry, I have noticed throughout the years of Pike fishing in some of the fly in fisheries of Northern Manitoba as well as the NWT that it always seems we see the biggest pike of the trip cruising within 50 yards of where a creek, river or stream either enters or exits a lake. "Rapids" in other words. And it also seems these big guys are the hardest fish to trick into hitting a lure as well. I've seen some monsters in these areas over the years but they just seem to cruise by and wont turn on a lure. Has this also been your experience (finding big fish close to rapid water) and if so, why do they seem to hang around these areas and are there any special tricks to make them bite?
A bad day on the water is better than a good day at work.
slayerofslabs

Pike In Faster Water

Postby JD » Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:01 pm

On all my fly in trips the biggest pike have always been near inlets/oulets. I guess they use these as "feeding highways". Last year on a fly in trip to Northern Manitoba I threw a 1/4 ounce Chatterbait with a Banjo Minnow trailor and caught many trophies. In other words, throw something they have not seen! It has worked for me.

JD
JD

Postby dahlberg » Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:20 am

HI JD,
That's a very common pattern. Often the pike are eating arctic suckers or resident greyling.
Boat positioning is often important so you can swing the lure to where they are laying.
It also pays to be a little stealthy, and to throw them something more sexy than the typical 5 of diamonds!!
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Return to Freshwater Questions