snake head vs bowfin

Questions about Freshwater Fishing

snake head vs bowfin

Postby Duke4190 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:28 pm

I know the looks of what makes them diff. but why are they such a threat?My brother inlaw caught one with me on cut bait.We killed it as our local DEC said to but was jus wondering?Anyone eat one,hell i might taste one if some else has?
Duke4190

Re: snake head vs bowfin

Postby dahlberg » Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:07 am

History has proven that almost any time a non indigenous fish is introduced into a system, something that belongs in that system suffers. Often with irreversible consequences.
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby Justin C » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:47 am

[quote="dahlberg"]History has proven that almost any time a non indigenous fish is introduced into a system, something that belongs in that system suffers. Often with irreversible consequences.
best,
L[/quote]

I hope the "anti-muskie" people of MN don't read this! Maybe the "almost" refers to everything but muskie?
Justin C

Postby dahlberg » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:56 am

Please be more specific. The argument against muskies in Minnesota will not hold water based on the statement I made.
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby Justin C » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:23 pm

Tiger muskies - are they harmful to the "cities" lakes? What about King salmon in the great lakes? Don't get me wrong I think in general your statement is a valid one.
Justin C

Postby dahlberg » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:37 pm

Tiger muskies are sterile so there is no danger of them ever getting out of control in a system where their presence might be questionable. In fact, that's the specific reason they are chosen instead of "real" ones.
THe salmon great lakes thing was an emergency measure to combat the alewife, which got into the great lakes by accident. THey also more than fill the niche left vacant by the decimation of lake trout by a combination of another invasive, the sea lamprey, and commercial fishing. Total apples and oranges comparison to the snakehead deal.
thanks for the post!
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby Justin C » Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:21 pm

The comment I made had nothing to do with the snakehead - Muskie (while I love them) are indigenous to MN - but being non-indigenous doesn't have to mean from another country or even from another state. If they were introduced by man the species is technically non-indigenous which is many MN lakes with muskie - so my comment was that I hope the "walleye guy" didn't read your post and say see "something will be harmed"...thats why I cant catch walleyes..
Justin C

Postby dahlberg » Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:53 pm

Hi J
I totally understand your point. I'd think it would be just fine if they had vending machines at every boat landing with fresh walleye fillets in them, straight from the rearing ponds. That way there'd be no excuses for not bringing home supper!
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby Justin C » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:40 pm

A walleye vending machine - I love it!
Justin C

Postby MuskieTom » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:37 pm

In Virginia Im having to deal with bass fisherman that complain about the muskie stocked in the lake near my home. I think that because of the Muskie we have less stunted bass giving more food for the remaining bass. Ive caught plenty of 22-24 inch bass in this same body of water and all were plump on shad.
(C)atch (P)hoto (R)elease
MuskieTom

Postby Karsten » Tue May 25, 2010 2:18 pm

posted by Duke4190 on Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:28 pm

"Anyone eat one,hell i might taste one if some else has?"

On my last trip to FL, we caught a handful of them, and they really did taste great. It did help that my friends from Vietnam were quite well versed at cooking these monsters. Although, I think I would take the heads off of them if I were cooking them myself.
Karsten

Postby dahlberg » Tue May 25, 2010 4:56 pm

Oh Oh, when my friend Scott from florida finds out you're eating his snake heads look out!
In my wildest dreams I never thought I would have a thread on my forum that might eventually lead to snake head recipes1!
Hilarious!
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby JRisapirate » Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:47 am

here is a link to a thread that has been going on about wether or not to release these fish back into the wild.. it is a pretty good read with a few links as well. Here in NJ the F&W is asking anglers to not release them and contact F&W what is the state asking you to do if you catch one of these.. I personally would have no prob putting a quater stick in one :) love my largemouth bass..

http://www.thebassbarn.com/forum/showth ... p?t=219233
P.E.T.S. Member
JRisapirate

Postby walleye steve » Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:40 pm

I'm in virginia, where snakeheads have become established in the tidal potomac river. DNRs want any snakehead caught to be killed, and the body not left in the water.

The biggest reason: unlike most if not all the other fish in this region, both the male and female snakehead stay with the fry after they hatch, protecting them from anything that comes close. This is a HUGE advantage for the survival of the young snakeheads.

btw i C&R walleye in my area and i know predators like musky produce a quality fishery. Tigers and walleye are both stocked in my local rivers, but natural strains have made their way into the system somehow and are reproducing.

Great site Larry, i've been a fan of what you've done for many years.
-steve
walleye steve

Postby aka anglinarcher » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:57 am

dahlberg wrote:
> History has proven that almost any time a non indigenous fish is introduced
> into a system, something that belongs in that system suffers. Often with
> irreversible consequences.
> best,
> L

I so agree with Larry on this one. That does not mean I don't enjoy the Bass and Walleye and Perch and even a lot of trout and ........... that I fish for in the Pacific Northwest, because none of them are indigenous to our waters. Still, other species have suffered because of them.

In our case, the species that suffered most are species that we, as fishermen, don't consider sport or food fish, but ....... An exception would be a native West Slope cutthroat trout. It has been out competed and interbred with the Rainbow Trout in most of our waters, so this is one desirable that is suffering from a fish that we consider a desirable non-indigenous species.

Consider the Carp, invasive, destructive, not native to any waters in the US. I have seen very few cases where someone would say that the Carp was good for a body of water.

There are always exceptions to the rules, and the Great Lakes are a prime example of cases where predators were required to re-balance a system, but for every exception to the rule, there is a case to prove why we want to be so careful. A prime example of rule and exception would be Lake Powell on the Colorado River in Utah/Arizona. The lake had some of the best Large Mouth Bass fishing in the world, let alone the greatest scenery in the world. The Bass were not indigenous, but they were put in the lake to fill an un-natural ecosystem created by the Glen Canyon Dam. Bluegill, Crappie, Catfish, all did well. Then, in a poorly thought out event, Fisheries Managers planted Stripped Bass. At first, it looked like a brilliant move. The Strippers soon overpopulated, stunted, took over, cleaned out the Shad, and the lake was devastated. I understand that somewhat of a balance has been established again, but it is not what it was once before.

Only time will tell if the Snakehead problem is as bad as it is suggested it will be. They are a top end predator, being placed in water with no natural enemies, with full knowledge that they will at least compete with existing desirable predators. Worse yet is the strong indication that they will feed on the desirable and indigenous predators we have grown to love.

Species introduction is something that should be done only with a great deal of study and thoughtful consideration, not by bucket biologist, or Johnny Fish Seed's. In the case of the Snakehead, we may very well be watching proof of this.
I think my bucket list has a hole in the bottom!
aka anglinarcher

Postby Bionic » Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:56 pm

Ok just a little input. There are 29 species of snakeheads and we have 3 species established in the US. One was introduced on purpose in Hawaii. It is the striped snakehead. I believe 10lbs is max size but 2-3 would be more likely there (not sure).
The ones in the Potomac are northern snakeheads and can I believe the only ones that can survive cold water. The max size on those is maybe 20lbs. The WR is 17+lbs. The ones here in Florida are the cobra snakehead. Max size maybe 20lb. The current WR is 11.5lbs. That record will be beat soon. I personally have caught ones in the 11lb range and measuring 39in.
The giant snakehed which is the one everyone references (incorrectly) for all snakeheads is the largest. I have photos from Malaysia of one that is about 40lbs and was eating ducks. The media hyped is crap for the most part. The giant snake is the only one that comes close to the stories about total aggression. The cobra is not as protective of there young and don't eat everything that moves. Florida non native did a research on the stomach contents and both the largemouth bass and peacock bass were far worse as to eating everything. Out of 300 snakehead stomachs cut open only one had a bass in it, where just about every bass and peacock had just about everything even their own kind (canniblistic). As far as gamefish go, they are the only freshwater fish I fish for here in Florida. They are a much better gamefish then LM bass and I would give them the edge over peacocks as well. As far as table fare they are ranked as excellent. That is pretty much why they are here. They are highly prized in asian cultures as being almost have mystical properties.

As Larry said I'm kind of a fan of the snakeheads. Should they be here no but are they yes....so some say lemons...I say lemonade!!!! Either way enjoy a tight line and good fight :)
Last edited by Bionic on Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just when everything is going your way, something breaks!!!
Bionic

Postby aka anglinarcher » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:35 pm

I agree, now that they are here, fish for them, eat them enjoy them. Just don't spread them.
I think my bucket list has a hole in the bottom!
aka anglinarcher

Postby Questor » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:09 am

I've been repeatedly amazed at how exotics can explode in a new body of water. Eurasion milfoil is a prominent example in Minnesota. I've seen explosions of carp populations in a couple of lakes too. They just take over and the character of the lake changes rapidly. Then, over a period of about 10 to 15 years things get back into balance again. In the one lake I'm thinking of I started fishing there in 1989 and it was a really good bass, northern and panfish lake. Then in about 1994 the carp took over and every year for about three years and the water kept getting murkier and murkier, and I caught fewer fish and eventually quit going there. Then I tried it again a few years ago and found that carp are still there in abundance, but the water is much clearer and the bass, northerns and panfish are abundant again.

I've seen the same thing when northerns were introduced to a previously excellent bass lake. I never used to catch northerns there but the bass fishing was outstanding. Then I started catching hammerhandle northerns while catching fewer bass. Now I don't go there anymore. I'll have to try it again in a few years to see if the bass are back.
Questor

Return to Freshwater Questions