whopper plopper

Questions about Freshwater Fishing

whopper plopper

Postby deadlifter » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:39 pm

Larry,

Is it possible to purchase a whopper plopper? I'm having the darnest time trying to make one with the tail being true. I'd like to see one in 3 D and then hopefully be able to duplicate my own. At this point I'm so frustrated I want to quit, but.....then I think about my last Muskie and the juices start to flow.

Sincerely,

Pat Bayait
deadlifter

Re: whopper plopper

Postby dahlberg » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:34 pm

oh grasshoppa..
first make a proto tail with an adjustable metal flipper. figure out the bend.the size etc. Once you get it so it makes your spine tingle and the hair on your neck stand up when you hear it, increase the thickness by dipping it in epoxy or resin. two thick coats ought to do. then make a mold.
I've tried to give you all the knowledge and tools, now it's best you find your own sound rather than try and mimic mine.
YOu don't want the muskies to think it's me coming do you?
good luck,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby deadlifter » Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:45 pm

Thanks for the tip. I'll let you know how I make out!

Pat
deadlifter

Postby deadlifter » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:46 pm

Larry,

Sorry to be a pest. I've tried your advice w/o success. The challenge is the result of a severe car accident I was in a few years ago. I was struck head on and sustained a closed head injury, leaving me w/o any knowledge of who I was or anyone/anything around me. Lasted 14 month and then I had 3 discs fuzed and my right knee replaced. The reason I mention this is that I have problems with fine motor skills and spaitial deficits. So the only way something "makes sense" to me is to literally handle/touch and see whatever task I'm engaged in. I remain on disability and receive rehab throughout the week.

Not looking for pity but trying to convey why I'm struggling with such a clear and easy task as making a tail to a lure.

Would you please consider either selling me a tail or a tail mold. I wouldn't be asking if I weren't completely stuck. It's not that I'm trying to get "your sound," but rather a uniform lure that floats and spins as was designed. Thank ytou for your consideration.

Promise not to bother you again, unless we can work something out and by all means please give me a shout.

Pat
deadlifter

Postby hooks40 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:33 am

Pat,

I'm working on the project now. If I get one to work, we can talk. You may want to consider getting a friend to help you with the details considering your disabilty. The project doesn't appear to take too long.

If you haven't done so, get the DVD. It doesn't have any whopper plopper stuff, but plenty of "tools" for other creations.

Steve
hooks40

Postby deadlifter » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:16 am

Steve,

Thanks for you quick reply. I will follow up with the dvds and please let me know if some sort of arrangement can be made on the tail. All of my friends are either talented musicians or into bow hunting, but have little or no time or desire to assist.

Thanks Again,

Pat
deadlifter

Postby musky man 10 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:31 pm

[quote="dahlberg"]oh grasshoppa..
first make a proto tail with an adjustable metal flipper. figure out the bend.the size etc. Once you get it so it makes your spine tingle and the hair on your neck stand up when you hear it, increase the thickness by dipping it in epoxy or resin. two thick coats ought to do. then make a mold.
I've tried to give you all the knowledge and tools, now it's best you find your own sound rather than try and mimic mine.
YOu don't want the muskies to think it's me coming do you?
good luck,
L[/quote]

Dear Larry, Aloha
My name is Dean Nu'u Pele Im from latham N.Y area Im an all around Taxidermist. Im a big Northern Pike and Tiger Musky fisherman, I was watching your show on the Whopper plopper where you were showing how it sounded. I thought it sounded really good. I watch your show faithfully. Well I had some questions for you and I hope im not a pain. Well can I find the whopper plopper at Cabelas or bass pro shops? cause i would make an absolute killing at Lock 7 and lock 11 and all the surrounding lakes? The other Question is If I have to make it What do I need to make it so that it is perfect like how you made it on the show? (flexible) What all together do I need? The other question is do you think you could possibly make one for me and I could pay for it by money order. What ever you would charge for it? I think thats about It.
P.S With all the great big game fish lakes in my area to choose from here in N.Y I would be Honored to fish with you here this summer For some huge Tiger musky and Northerns and whatever else you favor. If your interested let me know. (Mahalo) Thank you Larry and good fishing to you. Prohoundsman07@gmail.com
musky man 10

Postby baugofire32 » Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:37 am

I want to buy a whopper plopper. I don't have the means to make one. Can I just have one made and sent to me???
baugofire32

Postby walleyeman570 » Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:54 pm

not larry,
but it wouldnt cost too much to make one your self, and its pertty easy he has videos on here if you go to the home page on the site and click how to make a lure.im not tryin to be a jerk but larry as answered other peoples answers on if when they may be able to buy a plopper, he hasnt went into mass production yet he may try to do it.
walleyeman570

Postby deadlifter » Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:27 pm

Larry,

Still having problems with making a tail for the whopper plopper. Any way to make a deal for a mold for the tail or to purchase just the tail. I've invested so much in time and materials that I don't want to give up, but at this point I feel like I've hit a deadend. Sorry to be such a pest, but I'm really stalemated.

Thanks,

Pat Bayait
deadlifter

Postby walleyeman570 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:21 pm

hey pat the best way to get your tail is to make it your own just like rideing a bike well life in general your gonna fail but you keep trying and trying soon enough you will come out on top.what is the problem you are having im not expert at mold makeing or lure makeing but sometime i come up with a good idea and it works.e mail me at skitzokid360@aim.com and i will try to figure something out that may work for you
walleyeman570

Postby baugofire32 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:51 am

Larry,
I want to buy a whopper plopper. I don't have the means to make one. Can I just have one made and sent to me??? I will pay a good amount to get one please help someone.
baugofire32

Postby Anglermanagment » Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:53 pm

In my experience in fishing fish catch on to humans quickly. Anything from the drift you make to the plug you throw. And increased repetition decreases your catching ability dramatically. Especially if that repetition is far out of the norm of what a fish sees on a daily occasion, such as a whopper plopper. An example of this is the tarpon toad which was a effective fly for the first few years of its life while it was unknown but once it became known it lost its effectiveness. My advice is to take what Larry gives you and tweak it. If someone does mass produce the plopper in the future your lures effectiveness will not be decreased as dramatically.
Anglermanagment

Postby justbassin26 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:21 pm

I agree with anglermanagment a lure is only effective until fish start to recognize what it is and what it will do.Kind of like when your a kid and you touch something hot,your a little hesitant to do it again.Now not saying a fish wont hit it again but the lure will not be as effective as when it was first introduced.
justbassin26

Postby deadlifter » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:02 pm

[quote="walleyeman570"]hey pat the best way to get your tail is to make it your own just like rideing a bike well life in general your gonna fail but you keep trying and trying soon enough you will come out on top.what is the problem you are having im not expert at mold makeing or lure makeing but sometime i come up with a good idea and it works.e mail me at skitzokid360@aim.com and i will try to figure something out that may work for you[/quote]

Thanks for responding! The problem lies in that I have not been able to get the tail to where it is uniform in size. Either the base of the tail looks as it should but the curve in the tail is not symetrical to the base. It's either to small/large or doesn't curve enough. I've tied flyes for years, but this one has me stumped. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.
deadlifter

Postby dahlberg » Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:20 pm

Making successful lures is more like building model airplanes or kites than it is like tying traditional, more or less "static" flies. I'd suggest taking a look at the way the tails are made on any of the "plopper" style "unbalanced" tails on musky baits and go from there. You want to make your proto from something that's easy to modify. Test it in open water or even by blowing air past it. What matters is what it does, not what it looks like.
Wish I could be of more help.
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby walleyeman570 » Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:30 pm

im with larry on that one.his past musky show was about what the sound is,not what it looks like fish dont go on looks really, its the action just try the tails you have made either in a local pond or even your bath tub may work.have you tryed takein what ever you are useing to make the master for your tail mold and makeing it with the front part of your lure? try that if you havent and than slowly work id down untill you feel the end of the tail is the way you like it,and the prop for the lure do as larry said and look at other props on other top water lures untill you find a style you like and can get close to it.im not sure if larry posted it on this subject or another one but try to find your own sound,and it all comes back to what i said in my other post just try try try try and try again.i hope i was of help but you have me kind of stumped.
walleyeman570

Postby deadlifter » Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:48 pm

Larry, what diameter wire do you use to run through the whopper plopper, as well as what size treble hook would you suggest?

Pat
deadlifter

Postby Ted Rathsack » Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:42 am

I would also like to order some of these lures. Is that possible?
Ted Rathsack

Postby dahlberg » Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:59 am

[quote="deadlifter"]Larry, what diameter wire do you use to run through the whopper plopper, as well as what size treble hook would you suggest?

Pat[/quote]
.062 stainless , size 5/0 or 4/0 gamakatsu magic eye trebles.
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby deadlifter » Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:55 pm

[quote="dahlberg"][quote="deadlifter"]Larry, what diameter wire do you use to run through the whopper plopper, as well as what size treble hook would you suggest?

Pat[/quote]
L[/quote]

Larry,

Is the hard plastic used for the whopper plopper body the same that is used for the tail. If so could you please state the name of the product
deadlifter

Postby dahlberg » Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:48 pm

nope. I use Alumilite white for the body and skin. Flex 80 rubber for the tail. 610 foam to fill the skin.
dye in body and tail to suit your tastes. check it out on makelure.com
good luck
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby deadlifter » Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:05 pm

[quote="dahlberg"][quote="deadlifter"]Larry, what diameter wire do you use to run through the whopper plopper, as well as what size treble hook would you suggest?

Pat[/quote]
L[/quote]

Larry,

Approximately how long is an average Whopper Plopper (body & tail combined), as well as the approx. diameter. And do you place a small bearing between the body & tail or do they just meet "flush" with each other?

Thanks,

Pat
Last edited by deadlifter on Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
deadlifter

Postby deadlifter » Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:20 am

Larry,
Again, what is the approx total length and approx diameter of the whopper Plopper, and lastly, do you have the tail section and body meet "flush," or do you place a small bearing between them.

Please keep me in mind if you decide to sell whopper ploppers. It would really help seeing one as I try in vain to make a correct tail.

Thanks,

Pat
deadlifter

Re: clear coats

Postby deadlifter » Sun May 16, 2010 12:16 am

Larry,

I recently read a response from another question you were asked about clear finishes. You made a response that started with mixing 5 minute epoxy with ? Do you remember the other component and the ratios of each. I should have written it down, but the best intentions.

Thanks Again,

Pat
deadlifter

Next

Return to Freshwater Questions