Long tooth ones

Questions about Freshwater Fishing

Long tooth ones

Postby Krippes » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:42 pm

I was making a new gar lure, crank bait style mold with no hooks, only a rope tail to fish for the Long Nose gar, when i read about the a state record, either goegia or near there, where a 30 pound monster was cought, and shot with a 38 to be delt with, I luaghed thinking about how a good glove let me deal with 50 inch plus gar in kansas, I was wondering Larry, have you ever trided a rope lure or fly for these toothy, and fiesty fish that jump like tarpon. Is there a episode i have missed somewhere, if not, i recomend heading to south, to texas, or flordia, the world record is just over 50 pounds, and i have a few trick lures for these fish. Just remember to tell the local to stop trying to kill them off.

Tommy K
Krippes

Re: Long tooth ones

Postby dahlberg » Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:43 am

HiT
I've never done a gar show. Caught a few by accident both on fly and conventional. Nasty looking critters for sure!
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby MuskieTom » Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:20 pm

When I read about the original range of the alligator gar It makes me sad. A superb predator fish killed out of many waters due to yellow journalism. Makes me wonder if agencies could stock them to put an impact on another blunder, the overpopulation of invasive asian carp. Ummmm to catch a tarpon sized fish on fly rod in my back yard. Would be amazing.
(C)atch (P)hoto (R)elease
MuskieTom

Postby slabfinder » Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:04 pm

Gar are the most annoying fish here on the ohio river. If you get one hooked chances are the hook is bury in his neck! Wouldn't be a sad day if they left.

Tight Lines
slabfinder

Postby Krippes » Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:10 pm

Well when i target theM i have 40 fish days sometimes with out the use of a boat, or a hook, or live bait. And the average is around 40 inches, but i also get plenty of ones over fifty. Yet gar killing is becoming a problem, they are stocked nowhere, so where ever you kill them you are killing a natural fish, we don't need any more fish going the way of the Bull trout or the alligator gar, and don't even start me talking about sturgeon.
Krippes

Return to Freshwater Questions