Successful freshwater trolling around weeds?

Questions about Freshwater Fishing

Successful freshwater trolling around weeds?

Postby Questor » Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:52 am

Larry:

What are the best techniques for trolling around weeds for largemouth, northerns, and panfish? That's where the fish are in my area, but I spend more time picking weeds off my trolled lures than fishing.

I appreciate the help.

Happy Holidays!

By the way, I'll be trying some of that Sufix Performance Braid next year. It's getting a lot of good reviews from other fishermen.
Questor

Postby dahlberg » Fri Dec 15, 2006 5:56 am

Hi Q,
As I said before, the liberal use of markers will help a great deal. The majority of the fish use either points or inside turns on the weedline. It's these points and corners you get hung on when trolling.
Set up your trolling pass to just clip the points, and/or so you can run parallel the the weeds for as long as possible.
Obviously, the less line you have dragging behind you, the more accurate you can be with your presentation, so use the least amount of line possible that still allows your lure to get to the desired depth.
You can also try moving much more slowly and fish more vertically, focusing on pockets and open patches between the weed clumps.
Also, obviously, choose lures that are the most weed resistant as well.
good luck,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby Questor » Mon Dec 18, 2006 12:24 pm

Thanks. That makes perfect sense. I'm used to thinking of trolling as a big water technique. I had no idea of how people who fish weedy lakes troll.
Questor

Return to Freshwater Questions