Larry

Questions about Freshwater Fishing

Larry

Postby Wanderer » Sun Apr 08, 2007 11:23 am

Larry,
Good job on your shows that you put out. Really like the one with the kids on the lake and river where you helped then learn more. Would like to see you do some more like that in the future.
Now I am know to flyfishing and I am don't really have the time to or a place close by to take classes on how to flyfish. I really would like to know how I can find out what type of knots to use and when to use them.
I live in Ky, but I was born in Wi. I love the idea of taking a musky on a fly rod, along with we do have some trout in a lake near me. any help that you can give me, I would be very greatful
Wanderer
Wanderer

Postby dahlberg » Mon Apr 09, 2007 5:43 am

Hi W,
Thanks for the post. I'm glad you enjoyed the "Kids" show.
The best advice I can give you in regards to getting into the fly fishing game is to focus your initial efforts on learning to cast.
After that, any technique you already know from other types of fishing can be transposed.
3M has put out several "beginning fly fishing" dvd's and brochures which contain the few knots you'll need to know. You could also visit a fly shop and I'm sure someone could show you what you need to know.
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby jbird » Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:49 pm

wanderer

[b]knots[/b]

1. backing to reel........ARBOR KNOT

2. Backing to flyline....ALBRIGHT KNOT

3. Flyline to leader......NAIL KNOT

4. leader/tippet to fly...IMPROVED CLINCH KNOT

This is the "bare bones" system. you can google these knots online and find the instructions. There are a bunch of other knots you will want to know as you progress. But these will get you set up and fishing.

Jay
jbird

Return to Freshwater Questions