New to flyfishing

Questions about Freshwater Fishing

New to flyfishing

Postby KiyaLou » Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:09 am

Hi Larry,

My boyfriend is a fishaholic (every possible weekend and over two months straight every year.) He is green with envy watching your show. He has gotten me into fishing quite alot primarily with spinrods and his tuffy boat! This time it is I who has inspired him to get serious about flyfishing.

I have an opportunity to bonefish in a few months so I am on a mission to get really good. I didn't even know he had flyrods until he pulled out his grandpa's two fiber glass and a bamboo that hadn't been touched in at least 35 years. I took a long lesson up by the San Juan in Northern New Mexico and I wasn't half bad. Anyway, I have a new rod on the way and getting the ancient ones new line (except the bamboo one). I will be practicing with the croppies and carp in the local lakes as well as bowls set up in the driveway in hopes of better accuracy.

[b]My really is, can a 9' (fiberglass rod) 8wgt. handle a King Salmon (orvis reel with good drag)? I'll be in Seattle/Vancouver in July during the apparently best run days.)[/b]

Also, when flyfishing for pike and muskie, is it common to use a barbless hook for these fish?

One last note, I would love to send you a picture of the beautiful 44" tiger muskie I caught shore fishing in Wisconsin last November! Is there a way to post/send photos to this forum? (By the way, it was bait fish, a clean hook, and catch/release.)

Kiya Lou in New Mexico
KiyaLou

Postby dahlberg » Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:53 am

Hi K,
Good for you! I hope your boyfriend realizes how lucky he is!
No problem with the rod/reel combo and a King.
Actually, on artificials, lots of people pinch the barbs down for pike and muskies. It's the law on many canadian lakes. Some even dictate single hooks only.
Suggest practicing a tight, controlled loop rather than focus on target as initial exercise. Once you can control the loop, you can make the fly go anywhere you want. A common pitfall in focusing on a target is that one often forgets about loop and line control.
Sorry, but I've no idea how to post photos, but as you may notice, a few have put up "avatars" so it looks like it is possible if one is schooled in the art!
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby jbird » Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:57 pm

kiya

Open a free account at photobucket.com. send your photo to photobucket and then you can direct it from there to here. Once it is loaded in photobucket, you just right click on the IMG code banner below your picture. select [b]copy[/b] come over here to dahlbergs site and right click and select [b]paste[/b] in you post. and the picture[u] should [/u]appear.

example

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v283/ ... C04360.jpg

jay

PS If you can catch a carp on a fly, you'll have no trouble with bonefish.
jbird

Postby jbird » Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:17 pm

hmmmmmm :oops: Thats not how its normally works. but it does get the job done.

J
jbird

Return to Freshwater Questions