Climatic changes affecting fishing

Questions about Freshwater Fishing

Climatic changes affecting fishing

Postby Armando » Tue Mar 27, 2007 3:11 pm

Hi
I recently went fishing for peacock bass as usually do every year. Find out as a surprise that fishing was pretty tough, not as many fish as other years, lagoons that didn't produce a strike, rocks, trees without fish. Amazing this are places that always hold large numbers of fish along the river. I did land some pretty peacocks, but it was a tough job. In the Orinoco looking for payaras you could go mad, no payaras.... at all!!
Looks like summer took too long to enter, usually it does in November and up to April. This time no summer 'till mid December, and then the hot days came in stronger, making rivers drop their levels faster than ever.
Something happened 'cause fishing here has never been this tough.
Is this happening in your rivers and lagoons? Have you seen fishing gone bad as never???
Armando
Bogotá Colombia
Flyfisher
Armando

Postby Seedy » Tue Mar 27, 2007 3:25 pm

Armando.

Not to sound too alarmist but I think you are noticing the trend. There was an article that came out yesterday or the day before that talked about how many "novel" climates will come to an end if the current climate change predictions are correct.

If the predictions are correct, we are looking at a large rise in Ocean levels (covering many atolls and flat islands) and an end (in our/our kids lifetimes) to things like coral reefs, tropical rain forests(as we now know them) and much of the ice caps and tundra...

Scary huh?
For those of you who also keep fish at home (and not just in the freezer :) ) come visit Aquatic-Oasis.net the home of the "more serious aquarist".
Seedy

Postby dahlberg » Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:58 am

There's little doubt we've had a weird global weather pattern for the past ten years or more.
The earth has amazing ways of adjusting and the jury is still out among all the experts as to whether this trend will continue or if thing will get back to what we consider normal based on the relatively short time we've been keeping records.
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby Questor » Thu Mar 29, 2007 8:23 am

It's still better to think year-to-year differences. For example, this year the sailfish along the south Florida coast were pretty scarce because of the warm winter weather. Last year, however, was a record year for lots and lots of sailfish in the same places.

This same sort of year-to-year phenomenon affects tarpon schools in Florida.

I also see minor seasonal shifts where fishing in my usual honey holes can get better or worse by simply being there a week or two earlier or later. This is the standard expectation for salmon fishing, but it affects other species too.

As to climate change, I've read more than the average person about it, and after you sweep away the political and financial agendas and get down to the science, two things remain:
1) People do affect climate, but the effect is not agreed upon or understood.
2) We still do not have the answer to the question "If there is global warming, then how will we know it when we see it?"

This is truly a primitive state of understanding.
Questor

Postby Armando » Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:53 pm

Hi there
Yes! It is pretty scary. About how do we know global warming is here...... I tell you, this is more scary, people still think nothing is happening, and always have their own explanation to the phenomena...
I friend of mine just came back from some bonefishing trip. He saw none, had a few baby tarpon and a pair of cudas, that was it.
This happened in an island here in Colombia that holds lots of bonefish.
I just dont want to stop fishing and caring
This is tragic, ecological disorder is huge.

Thanks
Armando
Bogotá Colombia
Flyfisher
Armando

Return to Freshwater Questions