New Lake

Questions about Freshwater Fishing

New Lake

Postby Esox_Hunter » Sun Mar 25, 2007 11:02 pm

Larry,
On a new body of water where you've never fished for musky before on. What are some baits and tatics you might use to figure out what works well on that certain lake. And what are some of your all time favorite musky lures.
T.J
Esox_Hunter

Postby dahlberg » Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:13 am

HI EH,
A complete answer to your question would take more space and time than I have, and is very seasonally dependant. It also depends on how much fishing pressure the lake is getting.
The first thing I do is look for the areas that offer the best food and cover. It's layout dictates my lure choice.
Most of my musky lures are homemade by me, but categorically, my favorite muskie lures over the years are pretty standard; bagley dbo-6, reef hawg, eddie type baits both surface and subsurface, prop baits that copy but improve on the old Mudpuppy for durability, plus bucktails tied with Flashabou.
My most consistant producer in regards to fish per cast is a homemade soft plastic minnow I call Mr Whiggley.
When I find a spot that I feel holds fish I give them a look at several of the above.
good luck,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Return to Freshwater Questions