Muskie Rod / Reel - Recommendation

Questions about Freshwater Fishing

Muskie Rod / Reel - Recommendation

Postby Yeller » Fri May 22, 2009 1:38 pm

Hi Larry,

I love your show --- can't wait to see the saltwater tactics for the big boyz up in Canada!

I am in Eagle River, WI fishing for Muskie; my dad finally buckled and purchased a muskie rig: Abu Garcia 6500 c3, 7' 6" M/H/F Fig Rig w/ 65 # braid. Did he do ok? Looking to pull the trigger myself this summer (dealing with Bass-Pro handouts right now...bit frustrating to say the least).

We were throwing Double Showgirls and BullDawgs over on Stone Lake. Any thoughts on a lake to land one by Monday?

thanks for the help.

Yeller
Yeller

Re: Muskie Rod / Reel - Recommendation

Postby eric83 » Sat May 23, 2009 7:57 am

if you throw dcg's and magdawgs all day you will eventully burn out your reel. the c3 isnt the best made real. the rods nice- for durability look at the calcutta line, the te cost alot but worth everypenny, the b is reliable, and well worth the money- good luck
eric83

Re: Muskie Rod / Reel - Recommendation

Postby eric83 » Sat May 23, 2009 1:07 pm

try the er chain, check out the hotspots maps or your mapping software on you gps for breaks, emerging weedlines ect... Id go north to n.twin, or up by land o lakes, my fav is lvd, and thousand island chain of lakes, but if you in er, go for the chain- if you look through some of the past posts, Ive lefts so good tid bits of info on the eagle river chain on there. I dont have the time to type it all out but do some searching and youll find some info- the post is titled fishing or trip to eagle river, something like that- good luck
eric83

Return to Freshwater Questions