Rigging up and fishing for big cats in resivoirs

Questions about Freshwater Fishing

Rigging up and fishing for big cats in resivoirs

Postby Johnathan » Sat Mar 24, 2007 8:09 pm

Hey Larry just want to start off by letting you know you have an awesome show and its the only fishing show that my girlfriend can watch with me without falling asleep. Also let you sponsors know that I just bought a new shimano curado 200DHSV today soley because of your influence. Anyways to get to the point, every year we will run trot lines for a few weeks in my local lake and usually catch one big flathead (40+ lbs), but I have NEVER been able to get one on rod and reel. I will fish the same spots on the flats adjacent to the creek channel at the right time of year and have even tried chumming but with no success. Whats your recommendation on how to get a hold of a big cat on rod and reel in a local resivoir? I have access to both shad, perch, and big shiners, but am also not sure of how to rig them up on the line to get them to where the fish are. Would you use a drift rig and float your hook up off the bottom or just tie a chunk of lead to your line and have the bait out on a 20" leader? Would you recommend fishing in the spillway or up against the dam? If so what time of year is best. Also will the curado 200DHSV hold up to big fish with those high speed gears? I would take the time to try everything out myself, but my fishing time has been severly constricted as I am applying to medical school this semester. Thus I am totally receptive to your expert advice.Thanks for all the help I really appreciate it.

Sincerely,
Johnathan
Johnathan

Postby dahlberg » Mon Apr 02, 2007 3:04 am

Hi J,
Obviously if the rig and bait you're using on the jug catches them, the same configuration with a rod and reel would work as well, if there were no other variables.
I'd suggest a one pound or so live bait on a short snell, circle hook and enough lead to keep the bait on the bottom. Hook it behind the bung.
Fish from sunset to as late as you can stay. Be quite. Use as many rods as the law allows and spread the baits 50' apart.
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Return to Freshwater Questions