larry whats the best bait for WI muskies this time of year?

Questions about Freshwater Fishing

larry whats the best bait for WI muskies this time of year?

Postby ifish2much » Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:02 pm

i am going to help my sister move some stuff this weekend at her house in WI. what is the best bet for a muskie or pike this time of year i probably have something in my box but i just would like to know what you would do. lake waubessa is where i am going to be if u know where it is. i have bucktails long jointed cranks, salmo shad, topwaters, big xraps, shallow shad rap, and i have some tube lures(for cudas in florida figured i would give them a shot on pike a little later on in the year.)
ifish2much

Re: larry whats the best bait for WI muskies this time of year?

Postby cheaptrix » Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:42 pm

FYI, musky & pike season in the Southern zone in Wisconsin does not start until May 2nd. You still have a few weeks before you can legally fish for them. Waubesa is located in the Southern zone.
cheaptrix

Re: larry whats the best bait for WI muskies this time of year?

Postby eric83 » Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:02 pm

in a few weeks when the season opens, go to wingra you got the best chance of hooking up with a ski. they'll be 30-40" but you can have a 5 fish day! its located near the henry vilas zoo. otherwise this weekend go down to the dam going into wingra and you can watch the muskys jump the dam into wingra to spawn. theyll stage below and some will jump. once in a while youll see a 50" fish- later............. for wingra try small jakes, x xrap 14's, and small blade baits.... purple works well on the madchain. you cant go wrong with a spring dawg in black and orange or large shiner on a quike stike. in wis you can run two lines so you can hang a sucker out the back while throwing lures........... my .02, but if you head up to columbia.sauk co. in lake wisconsin you can fish for walleye and northern all year long. if you dont have a boat go below the sauk city dam at the end of lake wis. or try whalens grade near poynette, another spot is the railroad tressle by the ferry off of cs. you can also try the back waters up river near dekora, if your in a boat be careful of the rocks the waters low, but theres some good action. theres large cats and spoonbill cats, stergon and sauger in the lake to. good luck
eric83

Return to Freshwater Questions