Questions about Freshwater Fishing

WALLEYE SPAWNING DATES

Postby fishing is my life » Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:05 am

HI LARRY,

i was wondering what time of the year walleyes start to spawn and when it ends
fishing is my life

Re: WALLEYE SPAWNING DATES

Postby Micropterus » Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:00 pm

Walleye spawn when the water temperature is 40-45 degrees. They spawn in rocky areas and usually seem to prefer the shoreline where the prodominant wind blows against. Walleye for the most part use the same areas year after year for spawning so the best way to find these areas would be to talk to local fishermen. Keep in mind most fishermen are not going to give up their fishing spots and some of them may send you on a wild goose chase, so talk to someone you can trust.
Best Fishes,
Jim

"Even the mighiest of rivers was once, but a stream."
Micropterus

Postby steelneal » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:50 pm

fiml,
when i was a seasonal for the Ohio DOW we would set nets in march here in NE ohio. they set the same spots year after year although some produce better than others depending on the year. if they stock walleye where you live i'm sure one of the biologists or fish techs would tell you some spots.

a few years after that i loaded up on a mega sh%@ load of crappie, fishing near some of those leads and wings. just don't get to close or the Man will slap a hurtin' on you.

Steel,
Licensed Fish Whisperer
steelneal

Postby young_gun » Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:29 pm

hell for the past month the eye's have been spawning in michigan, can't wait for those dam things to get away from the dam, they're seriously meesen up my steel'y fishen and season doesn't open till 4-25 in mich (with the exception of the great lakes, lake st.clair, and the det river). yeah but don't be afraid to contact a fish bio. from your state and or area they're nice people
$young_gun$
young_gun

Return to Freshwater Questions