Best wire for bucktails?

Questions about Freshwater Fishing

Best wire for bucktails?

Postby Shark_bite » Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:26 am

Again, love the show, the one in India was excellent. I've been making my own bucktails for quite a while, and have caught some good muskies on them. But I just want to know what is the best gauge steel wire for bucktails (normal to larger size tail)? Also how do you know what size clevis to use? I've had problem with some of my tails: the blade lies flat against the body and requires a hard jerk to get spinning. I'd like for them to just spin when they hit the water. Thanks.
Shark_bite

Re: Best wire for bucktails?

Postby eric83 » Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:24 pm

for double 8/10's I use .62 and for smaller stuff I use .51. its all personal preferance, the lighter wire you use the more kinks you have to straighten out when the lure gets slammed. if your making cowgirls make sure you use large or mag, clevis's cause the blades create alot of stress, especially the 10's ive also noticed that if the clevis is pinched against beads or lurebody the blade doesnt wont to turn right, otherwise if you use the deep cut blades the blades turn easyer, stamina tackle is a good supplier good luck
eric83

Return to Freshwater Questions