i want a bass boat can you help me please

Questions about Freshwater Fishing

i want a bass boat can you help me please

Postby fishingdude » Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:58 pm

hi larry i was looking to buy a bass boat and i was wonderin what would you recommend.

thanks,
andrew
fishingdude

Re: i want a bass boat can you help me please

Postby Micropterus » Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:51 am

Andrew,

I know I am not Larry, but here is my opinion for what it is worth. This depends on what kind of budget you have to work with, where you will be fishing, and what kind of fishing you will be doing. I am just guessing here, but I would say this will be your first bass boat, your working with a limited budget, and you will be mostly fishing for fun or local club tourneys. If this is correct I think your best bet would be to go with a aluminum bass boat like a bass tracker or a G3. The manufacturer you choose is mostly person opinion. You could ask ten fishermen what boat they would recommend and you might get 10 different answers. A 16 or 17’ boat with a 50 or 90 hp motor is an excellent starting point. A aluminum hulled bass boat is easier to care for. If you run into the dock or fish a lot of brushy areas you do not have to worry about scratches in your paint. It is much lighter which means you do not need a full size vehicle to pull it around, but it will be a rougher ride. The cost in gas will be substantially different compared to a fiberglass boat. You will use less gas for the boat and your tow vehicle. With a aluminum boat you can put it on your trailer and go after you finish fishing, but if you get fiberglass you need to make sure you wipe the scum line off the boat as soon as you take it off the water. If you do not then you will have a nearly permanent yellowish stain all the way around your boat. If you fish big waters like the Great Lakes, Toledo Bend, Santee Copper, etc then a larger fiberglass bass boat may be necessary. A aluminum boat cannot handle rough water like a fiberglass bass boat so paying close attention to the weather is accentual. I have fished on big lakes all over the US and have had 12” of water on the floor of my 21ft Ranger and all three bilge pumps running non-stop because the weather would take a turn for the worst during a tournament day. If this is your first boat and you will be fishing small to medium waters then I would definitely go with an aluminum model. You can probably get a decent used one for 2 or 3000 dollars and a new one will usually run anywhere from 10 to 16,000. A couple of things to keep in mind when buying an aluminum bass boat. First, check the design of the hull and buy a welded hull, not rivets. Second, if you buy a used boat check for signs of any repairs to the hull. Aluminum will become brittle over time and if the hull already has needed repairs you should stay away. Third, if buying used check the decks of the boat for rotten wood. Many of the aluminum bass boats have wooden decks under the carpet and they will get rotten and need replaced if the person did not take care of his boat. If you buy any used boat I would recommend you ask the owner to go with you for a test run on some local water. You should be able to get a feel for the dependability of the motor, sturdiness of the hull/deck, and fishability. Take someone along with you who has owned a boat themselves to help you check over a used boat. You want to buy a boat you can go fishing in not spend countless hours making repairs. There are some days I would trade my fiberglass bass boat for an aluminum boat just for the cost and simplicity. A aluminum bass boat is a good beginner boat and then you can step up to a big and fancy fiberglass boat later. I have seen guys buy the biggest and fanciest bass boat they could for their first boat and then a year down the road they regret their decision because of the upkeep involved and the cost of operation. One last thing, do not buy a bass boat that is to big for your tow vehicle or you may have to replace an engine or transmission.
This is my advice on the matter, hope it helps.
Best Fishes,
Jim

"Even the mighiest of rivers was once, but a stream."
Micropterus

Return to Freshwater Questions