Shimano Curado 300e 2009

Questions about Freshwater Fishing

Shimano Curado 300e 2009

Postby esox80 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:46 pm

Hello Ive noticed multiple shows while musky fishing you or your fellow anglers are fishing with the lowprofile curados. Im thinking of picking one up for my 6'6 Fenwick for throwing bucktails and smaller jerk/plastics. Wondering if you or anyone else has seen a significant down or upside to fishing with one of these reels? Also is it able to handle larger baits like the "cowgirls" or anyother larger baits?
esox80

Re: Shimano Curado 300e 2009

Postby dahlberg » Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:34 am

Hi E
Carrie Grove, who actually invented the cowgirl, uses a curado 300 all the time.
The main gear in it is as large as a Tiagra 50 deepsea marlin reel, you can get almost 30" of line per crank and will handle fish that if tied tail to tail with a musky would jerk it's skin off.
The main advantages are, of course. comfort and reduction of stress in the forearm flexor and extensor muscles which helps prevent "tennis" and/or "golfers" elbow. (When you grip something, the closer together you can get your thumb and middle fingers, the less stress you will have and also the more strength.
Perhaps more important, it has a disengaging level wind gear which allows it to cast more efficiently.
I've caught sailfish, tarpon, muskies, pike, lake trout, salmon, sharks, snook,redfish, peacock bass, and have never had one fail! I had a total of two of them in my arsenal. I'm switching to the new green E series this season and awarded the previous to a a couple of lucky guides who were eyeing them with envy.
Lastly, when it's really cold in October and November they don't give you the deep bone sting you get if you bare hand a metal reel.
A disadvantage, on a super long bomber type cast, because they don't as much line, you loose retrieve speed at the end of the cast.
That being said, I still use 400's a great deal for muskies too. The 300 usually has a topwater, minnow bait etc on it. I fish it on a 7 1/2 foot rod.
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Re: Shimano Curado 300e 2009

Postby esox80 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:54 pm

Thanks a ton Larry! Muskies of Vilas County beware!!
esox80

Return to Freshwater Questions