A musky wake to remember

Questions about Freshwater Fishing

A musky wake to remember

Postby Big Chip Chopper » Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:00 pm

Larry,
Musky fishing with my dad a while back we observed a wall of water 6-8" high rise up behind my dad's topper. It followed for about 20' (with a slow/med. retrieve speed) then vanished. It was a bright sunny day and we never saw the fish. We have both seen many wakes behind baits before, but nothing like that. We have had many discussions as to what size fish could push up a hump of water like that. Through your many big fish encounters have to witnessed anything similar? I hope you can shed some light on this subject so my dad can get some sleep at night.
Thanks a lot!
BCC
Big Chip Chopper

Re: A musky wake to remember

Postby dahlberg » Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:51 am

HI BCC
The size of the wake is dictated by the depth of the water, the distance the fish is under the surface and of course the size of the fish, and to some degree the speed the fish is moving.
I've seen a few wakes that actually fold over and white cap. It's my favorite sight while musky fishing. In fact, it make my heart pump faster than when one bites.
Unfortunately, nobody can judge the size of a fish by it's wake with any degree of accuracy.
Regarding your dad's sleeping, all I can say is, "sweet dreams"! I just hope he doesn't knock your mother's teeth out when the fish he's dreaming about bites!
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Return to Freshwater Questions