Musky Rods

Questions about Freshwater Fishing

Musky Rods

Postby mmadmatt » Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:31 pm

Hi everyone, first time poster here. Never found one worth writing to, but behold the holy grail........Fishing
I am taking a trip to Northern Ontario to fish for gators, giant northern pike. What I was wondering is on a limited budget, max $200 what type and brand of rod and reel should I get. I want to use it for Musky as well. I have a Bass Pro Shop locally and a Sportsmans Warehouse. I have fished with spinning rods and reels my whole life, so would it be better to stick with that or to get a bait caster. I have made some of my own lures to try out and they are huge, I'm talking magnum weight here solid wood. Look for a order from me in the future for some molding supplies and plastic casting resin once I get my prototype tested and refined..

Thanks, Matt
mmadmatt

Re: Musky Rods

Postby dahlberg » Sat Mar 28, 2009 5:58 am

Hi Matt
Buy the best baitcaster you can afford, and if you're going to skimp, do it on the rod. I'd suggest a curado 300 for a great all around reel and do some bargain hunting for a good heavy/med heavy rod in the 7- 7 1/2 foot range.
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby esox80 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:54 pm

Shimano Compre 7" heavy with a Abu Record. I did the same thing three years ago for a Lac Seoul trip and still use the combo on a daily basis over the last three open water seasons.
esox80

Postby lilmoosecountry » Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:23 am

Bps has a Browning musky rods in the catalog for like 80.00. Pair that with a Abu-Garcia 6500. That will leave a little left over for sales tax. Buy the reel at the store. They'll even spool it up with line just for purchasing the reel.
lilmoosecountry

Return to Freshwater Questions