PIKE

Questions about Freshwater Fishing

PIKE

Postby fishing is my life » Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:21 pm

HI LARRY,

I made myself a goal for the season. and that is to catch a pike that is atleast 30" long. but there is a problem. 1st problem: i live in sun prairie wisconsin which is only near the madison lakes, which are effected by mercury.---2nd problem: i dont know what type of cover they generally like to stay in.---3rd problem: i dont know what types of bait to use for them.---4th problem: i dont know any other lakes that are within an hour drive from sun prairie that hold pike. so i would love a few suggestions.--------------------------------- so if somebody knows anything to help me with most of these aspects please help me out. it would be greatly appreciated.
fishing is my life

Re: PIKE

Postby MuskyMan23 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:13 pm

I'm currently living in southern minnesota, but have also lived in northern wisconsin, southeast Minnesota, and northern illinois and have fished many waters within an hour of sun prairie, and I am only 23! Lake Geneva, Lake Delevan, Lake Como, and the madison chain right in your backyard can all produce pike and big pike at that. If your looking for a pike over 30 inches for the table I'd recommend taking 2 22 inchers for the table and releasing the bigger fish. You can get 3 fillets off one northern so even a small northern provides for a good meal. Also smaller fish have less mercury in them because they have not lived long enough to bioaccumulate mercury in their fatty tissues. The Miss. River around lacrosse/winona has excellent backwaters filled with pike but that is a 2-3 hour drive from madison. Many other options within your area. Poygan is loaded with pike and a great ice fishing destination. I have to say that you an abundance of good waters around you within 15 minutes, just have to put in your time and fish a little deeper if you are after the bigger northerns. Small pike will inhabit the shallows almost year round but bigger pike spend more of their time in deeper water. Good luck, Joe
MuskyMan23

Return to Freshwater Questions