A visit to South Carolina. Freshwater alternatives?

Questions about Freshwater Fishing

A visit to South Carolina. Freshwater alternatives?

Postby ScottJ175 » Sun Mar 22, 2009 6:27 am

I'm over here in Charleston, SC until Friday to fish with my father-in-law who got me back into the game.

He's strictly a Bass fisherman. I couldn't even get him interested in a Bream bite that seemed to be on big time this past Friday even though the high pressure had the Bass pretty negative.

We'll likely be spending most of our time in a local reservoir where bass and panfish are it but might get to the Cooper River some.

I was wondering what else other than bass I could try for while he pounds the grass flats with soft plastics.

I know there are Pickerel in the Cooper. I caught one on a white with red highlights spinner bait back in December. I just let it drop off the hook into the water since we were fishing a tournament that day and the Pickerel did us no good. I might try for another just because I've never brought one to hand. Do they normally bite big wire frame spinners or is something else more their speed?
ScottJ175

Re: A visit to South Carolina. Freshwater alternatives?

Postby sean.kerley » Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:52 pm

Scott
I don't know if they act different in SC, but in VA, we catch a pile of Chain Pickerel on inline spinners. Rooster tails, panther martins, mepps spinners...all the usual suspects. Just like using these lures for bream, the pickerel will tell you what color, size, etc. is appropriate. (my first bet is always a big, solid white rooster tail with a silver blade) I've never used a leader for these guys, they usually bite an inline spinner right smack on the hook. (I'm sure you already know they have pretty nasty teeth and a nasty disposition). I have a lot of fun fishing for pickerel, I hope you enjoy it too. And by the way, they're really bony, but the flesh tastes awesome!

tight lines
Chris
sean.kerley

Postby Brian » Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:32 pm

Scott,

An uncle of mine used to live in Charleston and talked about Santee Cooper alot. He also talked about Lakes Moultrie and Marion. Anytime he mentions the three, two things come up. Lots of big bass, and Huge catfish. Not sure if the chance will present itself, but I hear there are some monster cats to be caught in that area. That is of course if the bite is on yet in there.

Best of luck
Brian
Let's Go Pens!
To the Cup!
Brian

Postby ScottJ175 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:05 pm

There hasn't been much of any kind of bite on. Seems like every time I come over here the weather refuses to cooperate.

It's been nothing other than big wind (10-20 MPH) and high pressure since we got here this past Thursday. On Friday my father-in-law caught 3 bass and I got one above the boat, went to reach for it and it managed to get off the hook, bounced once on the deck and into the water. I'm convinced that was a jinx.

I did at least get to see my wife catch her first largemouth. She fished with her dad plenty when she was young but only caught panfish. We were using worms and crickets to catch a bunch for a fish fry and hooks her first on an ultralight spincast rig with 4lb line. Only 1 pound but she sure was thrilled.
Link to pic: http://i410.photobucket.com/albums/pp18 ... C-0213.jpg

I also accomplished my goal of actually bringing a Pickerel to hand. It was in the Goose Creek reservoir rather than the river and it also only went about a pound. I didn't bother to keep it to try the meat. I'll wait until I can get a bigger one for that. I was catching Crappie on a Lucky Craft suspending Pointer and this thng jumped on it: http://i410.photobucket.com/albums/pp18 ... C-0217.jpg
ScottJ175

Return to Freshwater Questions