Muskie Questions

Questions about Freshwater Fishing

Muskie Questions

Postby dquintenz » Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:38 pm

Mr. Dahlberg,

I watched your show for the first time recently and was intrigued by your insights into Muskie fishing. You mentioned Hayward, Wisconsin, where my parents have a cottage on Lac Courte Oreilles. Of course, as you know, every bar and tavern there has Muskie trophys of incredible size. However, we have never had much luck fishing for them in the lake. There is a cranberry farm at one end which seems to pollute the water through fertilizer and other chemicals. I am taking my wife and two young girls there in May for my grandmother's 90th birthday. I thought that might be a good time to fish for Muskie, and was really thinking about floating the Namekogen to find Muskie and Smallmouth. I am a fly fisherman. Would you please give me any advice you might have?

Sincerely,

Darren Quintenz
dquintenz

Re: Muskie Questions

Postby dahlberg » Sun Mar 15, 2009 4:03 am

Hi D
If you're a fly guy, you'll enjoy the Namekagen. It's a tiny, intimate little river with plenty of smallmouths and a few muskies too.
Not sure about your lake. Make sure you check the wisconsin regs as to when the season opens in regards to the species you are after.
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby dquintenz » Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:40 pm

Mr. Dahlberg,

Thank you for your response. Can you give me any advice on leader lengths/sizes and flies for Muskie and Smallmouths? Also, is there a place near Hayward you would rather advise for Muskie fishing?

Thanks again.

Sincerely,

Darren Quintenz
dquintenz

Postby dahlberg » Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:48 am

I use size 2-1/0 for smallmouths on flies from 2 1/2 to 5" long. Poppers, divers, sliders and streamers of various types.
For muskies, if I'm sight fishing I use fur strip divers on 1/0-3/0 hooks with flies 5-6 inches long.
Blind casting, same hook size but usually larger flies, up to almos a foot in length. also use full sinking and wet tips quite often. There are many local guides in the Hayward area; suggest you contact a local tackle shop like Pastikas and see what/who they suggest.
Best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby MuskyMan23 » Sun Mar 22, 2009 12:18 pm

Musky season in Northern Wisconsin always begins the saturday nearest memorial day, I believe this year memorial day is on the 25th so the season would begin on the 23rd. Definitely do not want to be fishing Muskies before this date, most fish are spawning or in post spawn and need to be left alone any time before this. Good luck, hope things work out for you. Joe
MuskyMan23

Return to Freshwater Questions