Snakehead

Questions about Freshwater Fishing

Snakehead

Postby blu1fin » Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:43 pm

Larry:

I see you have been doing some 'local' stuff this season.

Any interest in filming for cobra snakeheads in Florida?

They get nearly as big as walleye (6-12#) and fight a whole lot harder.

I am guessing that Bionic (Scott), or some of my other buddies down there, would be happy to help with the arrangements. Besides a show we filmed with your InFish buddies last fall, I don't believe much national fishing attention has been given to the cobra snakeheads. Their top water strikes are impressive and the big ones jump and have more pulling power than a trophy smallmouth.

Just a thought.

Steve
blu1fin

Re: Snakehead

Postby Henry Schmidt » Sat Mar 14, 2009 6:04 am

I dont think there's much local support for fishing the exotics down here. You cant even bring up the subject of snakeheads on the floridasportsman site without getting into an argument. The Miami area might enjoy their exotics but the rest of the state is plagued by them. My local bass waters have been destroyed by tilapia. The hoplo have pushed the channel cats into local extinction. I cant find a bluegill anymore, just cichlads, tilapia and more tilapia. The tarpon and snook cant get rid of them I doubt snakeheads would help. Maybe Red Lobster could come in and net them all for their $10 tilapia in a bag dinners!
Henry Schmidt

Postby Bionic » Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:13 am

Henry if you wnt to try it give me a call. I will be heading down there next weekend to
see how the bite is.
Just when everything is going your way, something breaks!!!
Bionic

Postby blu1fin » Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:32 am

There seems to be a lot of misinformation and closed mindedness going around regarding snakeheads.

Whenever I am down there, all I hear from the locals is how terrible the snakeheads are and 'that they eat all our bass and you gotta kill everyone you catch.'

However, a recent FWC survey revealed a relatively peaceful co-existence between snakeheads, peacocks and largemouth bass in South Florida. Examining the stomach content of 127 snakeheads, the remains of only 2 peacocks and 0 largemouth bass were discovered.

On the flip side, of the 68 peacock bass studied, 16 snakeheads were discovered in their stomachs.

As wrong as it was for the snakehead to be illegally introduced in Broward County, they are there to stay and it seems to make more sense to disseminate accurate information regarding them instead of having people operating under misconceptions.
blu1fin

Postby Henry Schmidt » Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:23 am

I agree and wish the predatory exotics cold be 'placed' in my local waters to get a hand on the exotics that are here. They are destroying the quality of the water itself and pushing the natives out of the picture. I have to wonder though....if snook and tarpon can't put a dent in them could snakeheads and clownfish?
Henry Schmidt

Postby Bionic » Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:08 pm

[quote="Henry Schmidt"]I agree and wish the predatory exotics cold be 'placed' in my local waters to get a hand on the exotics that are here. They are destroying the quality of the water itself and pushing the natives out of the picture. I have to wonder though....if snook and tarpon can't put a dent in them could snakeheads and clownfish?[/quote]

It's hard the Mayan ciclids are the biggest nest raiders and the tilapia are just over running, plus both
can tolerate water temps that snakeheads, peacocks, and clownknifes can't. Mayans can also tolerate
brackish water. Once those are in, unless you can drain and start again, they are there to stay.

Scott
Bionic

Postby Yetti » Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:30 pm

I live in south Florida and can tell you that the exotic fish species have destroyed native fish populations. Just imagine going to a pond or lake with some crickets or worms and not being able to catch a single bluegill. Why, because there are none. Snakeheads and knifefish and the worst exotics, don't even think about releasing them in your own lake. In most south Florida canal and lakes it is impossible to even catch a largemouth. Sure the Peacock Bass are great but I don't believe they have really put a dent in the ciclid, oscar, talapia, and other harmful exotic species populations.
Yetti

Postby Bionic » Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:02 pm

[quote="Yetti"]I live in south Florida and can tell you that the exotic fish species have destroyed native fish populations. Just imagine going to a pond or lake with some crickets or worms and not being able to catch a single bluegill. Why, because there are none. Snakeheads and knifefish and the worst exotics, don't even think about releasing them in your own lake. In most south Florida canal and lakes it is impossible to even catch a largemouth. Sure the Peacock Bass are great but I don't believe they have really put a dent in the ciclid, oscar, talapia, and other harmful exotic species populations.[/quote]

Yetti I hear this all the time and as stated about it has yet to be proven about the clownknives or snakeheads. That coming from FWC and
the non-native species department. I will note that exotics should not be introduced into any water, but it is what it is. South Florida's water ways
af re far to being batural anyways. it is all man made and I for one prefer to make lemonade from lemons.

P.S. When I target snakeheads I often catch more bass then I do snakes. Not bad by catch. As for clowns they are hard to catch.
Bionic

Postby Yetti » Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:20 pm

Why does the FWC instruct anglers to keep or kill any snakeheads or clownfish they encounter?
Yetti

Postby Bionic » Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:33 pm

[quote="Yetti"]Why does the FWC instruct anglers to keep or kill any snakeheads or clownfish they encounter?[/quote]

They no longer do. It was dropped sometime last year.
They do however have to be released into the same water, you can not transport them alive. That is against the law.
Unfortunate as it is that exotics have gotten a foothold, I do enjoy fishing for them. I fish strictly for sport in freshwater.
I also can't simply kill a fish for the sake of killing it. I do though harvest a few for my friends as they do eat them.
Tom Yom soup.
Bionic

Postby Henry Schmidt » Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:23 am

It really depends on where you are fishing too....as far as the kill/dont kill rule stands. If you happen to be on land or water under the control of the Florida Department of Environmental Protection, all exotics must be exterminated not returned to the water. No matter what species. D.E.P.'s goal is to preserve Florida at its original state. So any state park, preserve or buffer preserve land, dont return any exotic to the water. FWC has a different goal in mind, that being sportsmanlike recreational use so they see things a bit differently. So always know if you are on FWC or DEP lands.
Henry Schmidt

Return to Freshwater Questions