Kites For Muskie

Questions about Freshwater Fishing

Kites For Muskie

Postby Shark_bite » Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:40 pm

At the beginning of the show (Cowgirl episode) you mentioned that after traveling to different locations and trying new techniques, you ask if it would work for muskie. I had to laugh, I do the exact same thing. Mostly the new stuff doesn't work, but sometimes it does, and its always fun to try. I saw a some footage of you trying Kites at the beginning of the show and getting bites. I have thought of trying that myself. Do you still try it? Is it worth looking into? What kinds of baits and what situations would kites apply to? Thanks. Love the Show, best fishing show on TV, maybe the best show on TV period. The lure making episodes were really awesome.
Shark_bite

Re: Kites For Muskie

Postby dahlberg » Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:01 am

Hi Shark
I've had unbelievable success using kites for muskies, from early July through late season.
UNBELIEVABLE.
Over the years I would have to say, the majority of success I've had on large fish, has been the result of transposing one "seemingly unrelated" fishing experience to another. There are too many to mention.
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby dustedone » Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:12 pm

Mr. D,
I caught your episode mentioning the success you had kiteing muskie. I had watched some guys kiteing for shark and considered the technique for muskie even before I had heard you talk about it.
I have casted my arms off in the pursuit of trophy muskie. I always reach the point of almost completely giving up and quitting than I hook into a monster and start the circle of insanity all over again. I average three trophy muskie a year in varying conditions. I admit that I enjoy catching monster pike and muskie, who doesn't?
In my pursuit of trophy muskie, I am always trying to expand my knowledge and techniques in catching these beautiful fish.
I have checked with local outfitter on kite fishing with little success. Do you you any suggestion for anyone right out the box? Mostly a equipment check list for a novice kite fisherman.
I understand that you will be in Minneapolis for a fishing EXPO? Any info on the venue, date and time would be great.

Keep up the great work

Dusty
dustedone

Postby Shark_bite » Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:53 am

I'll toss in another question: what size bait do you recommend for kites? I remember from the clip that the bait seemed fairly small....
Shark_bite

Postby dustedone » Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:40 pm

Shark_bite,
What I've been told in the past and what has worked for me. Big bait equal big fish.
Dusty
dustedone

Return to Freshwater Questions