Rod Choice for Big Blades

Questions about Freshwater Fishing

Rod Choice for Big Blades

Postby MuskieJim » Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:46 pm

Hey Larry,

Just need a little insight. I just got my new Trinidad TN16n in the mail today, and all I gotta say is WOW. This thing is a boss! I'm just not sure what rod to put it on. I currently own three Croix's and two Shimano Compres. I'm set on another Shimano Compre, specicially an 8 footer, but I'm just not sure which rating to pick. There is the MH 1-3 ounce or the XH 2-6 ounce. What's your input? I figured the 1-3 ounce would have a softer tip that would allow for a little more whip.
Sometimes, it's a fish eat fish kind of world... >=========+> ><>
MuskieJim

Re: Rod Choice for Big Blades

Postby hans79 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:03 pm

dear muskie jim. i wanted to tell you about a rod that i have been playing around with. i have shimanos and croixs but i was looking for a rod for the same reason you are. i tried the new tica rods. they have two 8.5 foot rods that telescope down. all i can say is that after i bought the one i went out and bought three more. they make it so easy to bring in the huge bucktails.
hans79

Postby MuskieJim » Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:21 pm

LD, I still need some feedback! Haha. What would you suggest in terms of the Compre's for throwing DCGs? The MH (1-3) or XH (2-6)? It's a tough decision, as I am not sure that the MH has enough backbone to figure 8 and do all that fun stuff. But I'm afraid the XH will be too heavy with not enough tip action to cast these far.....
Sometimes, it's a fish eat fish kind of world... >=========+> ><>
MuskieJim

Postby dahlberg » Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:57 am

HI MJ
You question is an excellent one. The DCG presents some unique challenges in casting, plus it seems to have so much calling power the number of fish you have arriving late seems higher than with any other lure I've used.
The best rods I've seen for casting them are in the 8-9 foot range and are quite parabolic in action. You do not want a "fast" tip. Obviously, the length is a great aid for figure eighting as well.
To be totally honest the shimano musky line up lacks the perfect stick for what you're asking about, but we'll be working on it!
best,
L.
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby muskydope » Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:49 pm

I'll back Larry on the Tica's, I've got an 8' heavy and a 8.5' XH. The 8' rules on easier pulling baits and the 8.5' works wonders on double tens.
muskydope

Return to Freshwater Questions