Bluegill/Perch imitation soft plastic swimbaits

Questions about Freshwater Fishing

Bluegill/Perch imitation soft plastic swimbaits

Postby nushagak » Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:41 pm

Larry, and All others who might be able to help,

First off, let me say that I am a huge fan and I try to watch every show. I have learned many things from your excellent episodes, and you are by far the best! Keep up the good work.

For years, I had a handful of small soft plastic very realistic looking Bluegill/Perch imitation swimbaits that worked great for Trophy Bass, but I cannot locate any more and I have long since forgotten what company made them. I am hoping that one of you fellow anglers might know the manufacturer of these great little baits or could suggest a subsitute.

Description: About 2 1/2 - 3 inches long x 1 1/2 inch tall, I think that they came in a pack of 3 with only one rigged up with a weighted swimming jighead. The most interesting characteristic about these little baits is the design that gave them such a great swimming motion. On each side of the fish, pretty much in the middle of the bait, was a flap that laid along the side of the bait facing the nose of the bait, and caught resistance as the bait was reeled forward. The resistance of these flaps is what gave the bait an incredibly realistic swimming motion. I lost my last one recently after having just hooked into a respectable largemouth (about 4 lbs). I have seen several different perch/bluegill imitation swimbaits in my search for replacements, but none of them incorporated the flap design, which I think was a big key to the enticing action of these great little artificials.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Tight Lines

Eli
nushagak

Re: Bluegill/Perch imitation soft plastic swimbaits

Postby young_gun » Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:14 am

try a berkly blade dancer in one of the smaller sizes works for nice slabs
$young_gun$
young_gun

Postby IVAN » Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:10 pm

I know exacly what you're talking about. I bought one in a shad pattern about 5yr ago. You might want to try Wal-Mart since that's where I bought mine. I can't remember the name of the company that makes them but I do see them on the shelves from time to time. If you don't find them you may anna try one of the Storm wildeye sunfish.
IVAN

Postby Terry G. » Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:52 pm

you guys ever seen "matt's lures", http://www.mattlures.com/products.htm
killer stuff.
when one cant fish, , one draws fish!
Terry G.

Postby nushagak » Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:27 pm

Thanks for the info, I will try the berkley blade dancers as a substitute.

The Matt Lures Bluegills are amazing/incredible/beautiful, but totally overkill for the bass fishing that I do. I'm too afraid to fish something like that in anything but totally open water. Most of my local bass fishing is in heavy brush, cover, grass, etc... I just cant justify donating a $20 (albeit gorgeous) artificial to my local bass fishing waters. $20 for an offshore bluewater lure, okay... But for just having fun with a couple of texas black bass, I will stick with the less expensive stuff and save my fishing dollars for the more exotic trip, plus, I have never found (even trophy) bass to be particular about lifelike colors, just lifelike action.

I would like to fish some of the Matt Lures trout series up where I guide in Alaska though. I think that they have some potential to be killer on the big pike that hang out in slough-mouths in the Upper Nushagak and its associated tributary rivers. Might even be able to entice a super monster rainbow trout to grab ahold of one. I'm going to buy one to toss around on the White River in early May, and see if I cant trick a big brown trout into a snack. If I have any luck, I will be sure to share and give Matt Lures some praise.

All the advice was appreciated,

Tight Lines
nushagak

Postby dahlberg » Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:24 am

Hi N
Thanks for the post and kind words. I'm pretty sure the lure you are referring to was called the "Lil Fishie".
It had two slightly staggered, opposing flap-like deals build into the sides that caused it to swim.
Not sure if it's still available, but I remember it well. It was an interesting idea.
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby Bionic » Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:25 pm

You can still get the lil fishie and I used to use them alot on smallmouth.
They did have a bluegill pattern, I might even still have some!!!!
Just when everything is going your way, something breaks!!!
Bionic

Postby openmeplease2 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:31 pm

do any of you fishermen every fish for crappie if you do do road runners realy work
Landon Bostick age 10
openmeplease2

Return to Freshwater Questions