River Smallies?

Questions about Freshwater Fishing

River Smallies?

Postby bassphemous » Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:46 am

Hey Larry...HUGE fan of yours and of your show!

Have you ever thought about doing a show where you're targeting big river smallmouth? If so, where would you go? What would you throw? Maybe you've done this already, and I just missed it.

95% of my fishing is for river smallies. They're beautiful, mean, aggressive, strong, and fight like the dickens! I catch a ridiculous amount of numbers each year, and I catch a decent amount of 4-5 lbers as well. However, this year I really want to go after "Big Mama". Any tips?

Thanks in advance!
bassphemous

Re: River Smallies?

Postby dahlberg » Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:12 am

Hi P
Tried it, but couldn't find the thread. Thanks, I think!
As you may not know, I guided for river smallmouth and as far as I know conducted the first documented tagging study regarding their seasonal migrations. It's my favorite thing to do when I fish alone at home for my own enjoyment.
Used to live on the Mississippi, whose monster and miles of great water I very much miss. Did one years back in the Quetico, but nothing recent. Might just do it.
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Re: River Smallies?

Postby young_gun » Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:57 am

I know this question isn't pertaining to me, but a great way that i found to catch monster smalies is fishing the headwaters of dams. There are a considerable abound of hydroelectric dams in Northern michigan and in the summer the smallies seem to stack up by these monsters. You can fish a texas or drop shot rigged crawdad or a medium crankbait ( depending on depth). But the real goldne spots that i have found have been below the dams where the main discharge is. I normally throw a foxtail or shallow crankbait to targe these fish. Try casting along the walls of the discharge and i think you'll be suprised on the catch. Its also not uncommon for me to pull a nice pike out in the mix as well.
Good Fishen
$young_gun$
$young_gun$
young_gun

Return to Freshwater Questions