Shallow Musky

Questions about Freshwater Fishing

Shallow Musky

Postby mattw » Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:15 am

Larry,
I fish a lot of natural lakes in Indiana. The state has done a great job of creating great opportunities for a person to go and catch a respectable musky. I have fished for them and caught a few and have had a few incidentals while bass fishing. I see a lot of really big boys back in the channels during spring and summer. When I do see one I only have a few seconds before she notices me and takes off. Can you suggest a lure or technique that I can have waiting in reserve that I can pull out quick to get a reaction bite. I have tried the standard bass lures and have come up short. I was thinking large soft plastics or even a large live bait rigged waiting in the live well. Would love to hear your thoughts.
Matt
mattw

Re: Shallow Musky

Postby dahlberg » Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:21 am

Hi M
If they're moving away when you see them, you've been busted and it's too late.
You can either shut down and wait. don't cast (exept maybe a livie immediately on arrival), don't get up, don't talk.slip out anchor. eat jerky. wait. slowly stand up. look all around.. begin slowing moving and hunting with push pole. be very quiet. use best polarized glasses like costa del mar.(side shield models are excellent-) Tippy tippy toes stand up high as possible in boat. Be quiet.
Pitch big lizard 20 feet past, swim 4' or so in front of fish. retrieve preferably away, not towards.Neutral lure might be best, sinking might be best, fast might be best, slow might be best,big, small, dark, light, ..pitch the lure; read the fish grasshoppa!
good luck,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Return to Freshwater Questions