Colombia's Tomo river fishing

Questions about Freshwater Fishing

Colombia's Tomo river fishing

Postby Armando GS » Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:19 pm

Hi Larry
I returned from the Tomo on saturday and I was told in Pto Carreño that you had arrived and were headed to the Tomo. That true?
We went all the way up to the Terecay but found the river a little bit high still no as dry as it should be so there was a lot more water to search for peacocks. Anyway we had lots of them (including some big royal and butterfly) in the 4 to 8 pounds, several Temensis 10 to 12 pounders and a pair of 16 pounders, we could also see some huge 18 to 20 plus pounders in a lagoon while they were chasing 2 pound sapuara schools, I even had one on the fly, was lucky enough to have the fly in the water the moment the feeding frenzy started, this monster swallowed it but I couldnt force the hook into his mouth the funny and weird thing is it chase it again graved it spit it out and charged back a third time, didnt had a chance to strike but that was incredible, the way the water raised up while chasing was amazing that was a 20 plus pounder.
This time they were up to very fast stripping
Found small payara schools.

Let me know how did it go if you are there. Planning to go back at the end of this month.

Best regards
Armando GS

Re: Colombia's Tomo river fishing

Postby dahlberg » Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:38 am

Hi A
Thanks for the post. Glad you caught some fish. Fast is always the key for big pcocks!
I was not on the trip you mention. Too busy tied up editing. Hopefully, next time! Too bad you didn't have Mr Whiggley!!
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Re: Colombia's Tomo river fishing

Postby Armando GS » Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:11 am

Oh too bad you were not there.
Stripping fast is really the clue, though I still loose the line between strips, it's hard to keep the rythm at such speeds, and nervousness when you see the giants charge, guess its the same as stepping on your line.....
Best regards
Armando GS

Return to Freshwater Questions