molded baits for fly rod

Questions about Freshwater Fishing

molded baits for fly rod

Postby tornwaders » Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:35 pm

Sorry if this has been asked before, I'm new to the forum. Larry have you tried to make "molded flies" using some of the goop in your work shop? A small mr. wiggles or another type of lure for the fly rod. I understand that baits like that can be heavy to cast ,but making air pockets in the mold may make a light "lure fly"? Please don't tar and feather me for not having a pure fly rod mentality.
tornwaders

Re: molded baits for fly rod

Postby hizzoner » Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:39 am

Thought about this a lot as I come from a fly fishing/tying background too..

I personally have found myself gravitating toward a broader approach to fishing in general...what will generate a successful day of fishing for me? However we define successful.

If the situation calls for flies or streamers or poppers, that is what I do...fly cast where appropriate..preferably with flies I have tied myself...but..

If I am planning on Musky fishing in deep water, to me there is no point to throwing a 10 wt. rod full sinker line with giant heavy fly against the wind all day unless it is for the aesthetic of it...(but I have very limited time for fishing due to family commitments)..

Getting back to your question, I suppose that plastics can be mixed with other synthetics or feathers to make some cool fly stuff...guys have been doing cool tube stuff for a long time in scandinavia which involve lots of nontraditional fly designs .

I have been trying to think of ways to bring the fly tying concepts to other lure making...for example I used Icelandic goat hair with flash tied on a massive 7/0 treble to be used on a bucktail spinner and it looks great...like a big tail .....you see this with Larry on his last episode making lead/plastic jigging spoons with flashabou in a "tube" style...which can slide up and down the leader....very similar to scandinavian tube flies.

Mark
hizzoner

Postby jakejusa » Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:03 am

I work at a custom plastic injection molding company. We were running a TPE with a foaming agent in one of our experiments. Normally the tech starts by purging the press which creates this gooey skinney worm like thing that piles up. When we used the foaming agent the purge stayed almost dry and did not stick to itself. I grabbed it after it cooled, and what I found was I had a skinney ( like a trout worm) looking piece of expanded TPE (rubber). I tied some flies to look like ants. The micro speres in the foaming agent was enough to cause the it to float the hook off the bottom. I used some #6 hooks so pretty heavy. Caught fish on it all last year. Not a super catch 'em everytime deal but makes a flie that looks buggy in short order. I will share if you want to try it. Let me know. I have it in red & black, just the ants come...Ha Ha
jakejusa

Postby dahlberg » Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:12 am

Hi guys
the main challenge and first consideration with flies is making something that's easy to cast. If it doesn't pass that test it flunks the rest in my book!
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby dangerousjob1706 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:35 am

Hello Guys,

I have been various things to mold a small minnow fly for stripped bass, I have found that Larry's 610 Foam on his e store works as well as kids craft glue with micro ballons. Just make sure you paint it afterwards.

Bo
dangerousjob1706

Return to Freshwater Questions