low pressure lakes tips

Questions about Freshwater Fishing

low pressure lakes tips

Postby eric83 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:56 pm

larry,
every year me and my buddies always plan a trip canoeing/fishing somewhere. we've done BWCA and the sylvania wilderness area in MI and Isle royale in lk. superior: anyways my question was since these lake have limited fishing pressure or in some cases little or no pressure what kind of presentation is best, should you use your standard go-to lures, or can you go with something a bit more aggresive.... is it a case were the fish will bite at most anything or should you "match the hatch" should we stick wtih the natural colors or should we go to floresesnt colors(keep in mind it gin clear to mod. clear water), also we try to go during key lunar periods and make sure we have our lines in the water for both sun/moon-rises and sets...... we usually do pretty good, but if you had to give a few tips to make us that much more productive what would you say... obviously using live bait would help, but for a week long trip its a pain to pack that as well. any words of wisdom would be appretiated!

tight lines-thanks,
eric
eric83

Re: low pressure lakes tips

Postby dahlberg » Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:18 pm

Hi E
Matching the hatch so to speak is always good, providing you've accurately observed what it is the fish are keying in on.
BUT, never forget, predators have a very important role in natural selection and are hard wired to sample things that seem like they might be edible but "don't belong there".
I've always done well with bright crazy colors, and when they don't work I switch 180 degrees.
Try the river2sea yabbie in the largest size if you're in smallmouth territory. You'll be pleasantly surprised.
Make sure you've got some good Zara spook type lures, bring a portable depthsounder, work the first break vertically, ahead of or behind your canoe while a partner pitches up onto the adjacent flat.
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Return to Freshwater Questions