Sumo walleyes

Questions about Freshwater Fishing

Sumo walleyes

Postby tshoberg » Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:10 pm

Mr. Dahlberg,

Just got done watching an episode of Hunt for Big Fish where you went walleye fishing with "the Griz" in Minnesota near St. Paul. Must say, you caught some pig eyes. I am curious. Have you ventured up to Lake Winnipeg or tried the upper nether regions of the Red River? An acquaintance of mine recently reeled in a walleye teetering on the 15 pound mark (CPR, of course) during a trip up yonder. I've been wanting to get up there myself. I guess the ice fishing is unreal.

Thanks.

-TShoberg
tshoberg

Re: Sumo walleyes

Postby dahlberg » Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:37 pm

HI TS
yup, I filmed there back in the 80's when I was with InFish. Some monster "green backs" as they call them up them come sneaking into the river below the Lockport dam. Tobin is also a good spot for big ones. The Columbia is probably the best shot for a real monster though. A mid-teener wouldn't even turn heads!
I happened to be on the scene and got some photos (I think the only ones in existence) of the 23 pounder caught by Big Al Nelson of the Red Rooster cafe, in Greers Ferry years ago. We passed through Branson on the way there and the only bar in town had a dirt floor!
Also know a spot where the "big river" strain (same as greers ferry fish) produced a 42"er a while back, but am not at liberty to say where it was!
IMO, the tactical approaches used by the majority of walleye anglers today are not geared for trophies. Need to use much bigger, self caught bait. I could tell you some interesting stories about my experimenting with them but don't have time or space on the forum!
thanks for the post,
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Return to Freshwater Questions