Muskie/Pike leaders?

Questions about Freshwater Fishing

Muskie/Pike leaders?

Postby fishwood75 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:27 pm

Larry, I've been building my own leaders for fly fishing for years. I want to do the same for my conventional fishing for Muskies/Pike. I've been playing around with seven strand wire and crimps. What do you recommend?

Fishwood75 Patrick from Altoona
fishwood75

Re: Muskie/Pike leaders?

Postby dahlberg » Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:49 pm

HI FW
Check out the 7x7 (49 strand) wire. It's killer, very kink resistant and more flexible. As you no doubt know, be sure to use the right size sleeves and crimping tool.
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby gies340 » Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:32 am

Larry et al -
I want to set up some pike leaders for senko and sluggos - how do I best do this? I have no clue but thought using sleeves would add too much weight. Is there a better way? I want to rig a few up for an upcoming trip to fish them both weedless and wacky. Any assistance appreciated,
Jason
Laramie, WY
gies340

Postby MUSKIEMIKE » Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:32 pm

they make a new leader material thats thin wire with a plastic coating you just go through the eye twist it then hit it with a lighter and it melts itself together very tough stuff maybe someone remembers the name i saw it at a sport show last year sweet stuff very clear also
MUSKIEMIKE

Postby MuskieJim » Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:42 pm

IMO, I would use a softer, lighter material than stiffer wire. I would use the 80 lb. Seagar flourocarbon with no crimps, only polymar knots with a drop of superglue, Sambo BB swivel and Staylock snaps . Never failed me yet for finesse fishing muskies.
Sometimes, it's a fish eat fish kind of world... >=========+> ><>
MuskieJim

Postby gies340 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:46 pm

Jim - thanks for the reply - can you point me to somewhere to buy the gear you mentioned? Wyoming lacks any decent non-trout tackle shops.
Thanks!
Jason
PS - any tips or pictures of your leader and finesse rigs would be greatly appreciated.
gies340

Postby rick_rudder » Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:36 pm

jason wher you fishing for muskie in wyoming?
rick_rudder

Postby gies340 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:00 pm

Rick - I'm headed to Ontario to fish with my Father after many years of missing our annual trip. I have heard of a couple places in eastern Wyo that have some muskies but not seen one yet. Obviously, no local tackle stores short of Cabela's in Sidney to check out.

How's the fishing in SLC?
jason
gies340

Postby dahlberg » Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:35 am

Hi Guys
Actually, back in 1974 I wrote an article about "twist melting" nylon coated wire for fly leaders intended for pike and muskies, and have caught thousands of fish using them. I think if you did some research, I actually invented the idea!
Any nylon coated wire will work, and is much thinner, less obtrusive, holds up to teeth better and has less adverse affect on delicate lures than 80# flourocarbon.
Just twist and heat it with a lighter, tie a bimini on main line, connect to leader with a double uni knot.
No snaps, no swivels, no crimps. It's just a bit of a pain to "retie" your lure. I'd use 27# at the lightest, and 60# as the heaviest.
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby rick_rudder » Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:30 am

Jason, we have a few resevoirs around here with pike and muskie, i go just a bit north of me to pineview resevoir for the tiger muskie, really nice resevoir and some 50+ inchers have been caught.
rick_rudder

Return to Freshwater Questions