Catfish species

Questions about Freshwater Fishing

Catfish species

Postby JonS » Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:56 am

Larry, I've enjoyed the show for many years. I recently had some photos submitted to me and couldn't ascertain the species of catfish. The submitter said they were from Ontario, but these things are huge. I think possibly too big for up there. I would appreciate your insights.
JonS

Re: Catfish species

Postby Bionic » Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:06 am

That is a wels cat. They are in Europe and are one of the largest species of cats.
Spain has a decent fishery for them that catching 100lb fish in not unusual. I'm not
sure of their fighting ability.

Scott
Just when everything is going your way, something breaks!!!
Bionic

Postby JonS » Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:45 am

Thanks Scott, yes I discovered that too. Now I'm trying to ascertain what's up. The guy in the pic says he got them snorkeling in Ontario. The habitat is the same and if they're there then they were introduced and have been there a while.
JonS

Postby dahlberg » Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:20 am

Thanks for handling this one Bionic.
I hope to find out first hand about their fighting ability. I've spoken to guys who are catching them on big soft plastics in a reservoir where the cats are actually chasing carp around!
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby Bionic » Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:16 am

[quote="JonS"]Thanks Scott, yes I discovered that too. Now I'm trying to ascertain what's up. The guy in the pic says he got them snorkeling in Ontario. The habitat is the same and if they're there then they were introduced and have been there a while.[/quote]

Unfortunately it's called the internet where anything is "possible".

Larry let me know where you're heading for the wels, they are on my list of fish to catch.
I tried for them in Germany, but fishing over there was restrictive and only managed Zander.

Scott
Just when everything is going your way, something breaks!!!
Bionic

Return to Freshwater Questions