making top water lures for bass

Questions about Freshwater Fishing

making top water lures for bass

Postby arnoldthree » Sat Feb 21, 2009 1:30 pm

I resently watched an episode on making top water lures, i would like to start making my own and was wondering if you have a book on lure making or some kind of informational packet, maybe with a step by step process on the subject. I live in buckely washington, and haven't been able to find the right bait / lure to catch good size bass on a regular basis. Can u please help me? sincerly arnoldthree.
arnoldthree

Re: making top water lures for bass

Postby dahlberg » Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:27 am

Hi a
I'll be issuing a dvd showing the various techniques I use in a month or so.
The RTV molding compound comes with very clear instructions on basic mold making.
I'd suggest HSII for that.
If you're making "hard" baits, I'd suggest Alumilite White as the casting resin.
You'll also need micro balloons to add to the resin if you want to have control over bouyancy. The resin, by itself will sink slowly.
RTV molds are also great for pouring soft plastics. If you're doing that, you need "plastisol" for actual lure. I'm working on a plastisol formula you can control hardness/softness by mixing in various amounts of additive. don't have it quite ready yet. Until then you can get it from any number of suppliers, by googling plastisol for making lures.
have fun, and I hope you crack the code for fooling your local big ones!
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby sean.kerley » Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:30 pm

Larry,
if someone lives in Korea and is using an APO (Army Post Office...postage is just like Stateside, but some items are restricted because it is still overseas), are you set up to ship to them? I really want to get into making stuff like that big topwater you showed us a couple of weeks ago. Can't buy it ahead of time and take it with me, I know it won't get through airport customs, so I'll have to wait until we get to Korea. On that note, is there anything to catch over there besides mandarin fish and carp? Don't know if you have any knowledge over there, but I'm gonna find out when I get there one way or the other! Thanks as always.

Chris
sean.kerley

Postby Bionic » Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:47 pm

Sean shot me an e-mail and might be able to get you some fishing info for over there. I might have a contact for a local who does some
snakehead angling over there and possibly some other fish.

Scott
Just when everything is going your way, something breaks!!!
Bionic

Postby dahlberg » Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:52 pm

[quote="sean.kerley"]Larry,
if someone lives in Korea and is using an APO (Army Post Office...postage is just like Stateside, but some items are restricted because it is still overseas), are you set up to ship to them? I really want to get into making stuff like that big topwater you showed us a couple of weeks ago. Can't buy it ahead of time and take it with me, I know it won't get through airport customs, so I'll have to wait until we get to Korea. On that note, is there anything to catch over there besides mandarin fish and carp? Don't know if you have any knowledge over there, but I'm gonna find out when I get there one way or the other! Thanks as always.

Chris[/quote]
We're set up to ship most anywhere as long as customs etc. isn't an issue. Maybe ought to talk to the PX guy and see if we can supply directly there. I'm sorry, but have no idea in regards to the fish there, but would bet if one shows itself it gets munched!
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby sean.kerley » Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:27 pm

My wife being Korean, I'm not taking that bet! They love seafood in all forms (some freakier than others). I was already planning to talk to the PX manager over there, last time I was in Korea there was absolutely no fishing gear on the shelves at all, certainly no tacklecraft. Just a tackle store well out into town, and it was quite pricey. I'm thinking of starting some type of fishing group for the younger Soldiers over there to keep them out of trouble in the bars and all that...it would be nice to get the PX on board. If I can get enough officers involved, maybe I can actually get some support for a really nice program. If that's the case, I'll definitely push for your stuff on the shelves at the PX.

Bionic, thanks for the tip...I'll shoot you an email.

Tight Lines
Chris
sean.kerley

Return to Freshwater Questions