Hawaiian trip

Questions about Freshwater Fishing

Hawaiian trip

Postby Rainy River » Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:54 pm

Larry-

I record every episode of your show and enjoy them very much. I live in the Litchfield/Willmar, MN area. I am an avid fisherman in my area. I mainly fish Walleye after opener and switch to Bass during the summer months. I jig, troll and cast with jigs, Raps and with Northland tackel's Mimmic Minnow (swim shiner).

On March 20th i leave for Hawaii. I did some research on the islands and found that on Oahu is a freshwater lake (Lake Wilson) stocked with several species of fish including Peacock Bass. I have seen you catch them and I am wondering what lures i should bring with me for this fish. I have something like 85 cranks baits and some surface lures. My surface lures are limited to buzz baits, skitter pops and floating raps ect. I plan on bringing one of my spinning reels with 14# Fireline, and buying a rod on the island.

Tackle suggestions?
As far as fishing them, it looks like they are found in the same places i would look for a Large Mouth.

thanks
Chris

"Hope to see you at the Rainy River in April"
Rainy River

Re: Hawaiian trip

Postby dahlberg » Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:59 am

Hi RR
You are on the right track lure-wise. Except you should also include some jigs you can snap and fish erratically. Lima bean head is best for that. I guy I know lived there for years and used to fish them all the time. They can pretty lure shy, so bring small hooks to catch live bait and terminal gear to fish it as well.
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby Rainy River » Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:43 pm

Great another fish shy like a Walleye. ha ha :)

I will just have to bring a lot more gear that I originally planned. Thanks for the quick reply.

I hope to some day have the privilege of meeting you in person. Perhaps on a landing.

Chris
Rainy River

Postby dahlberg » Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:10 pm

HI RR
The pleasure would be mine. Did I mention fast, fast, fast and random non-mechanical action is best.
Pcocks are if anything, opposite of walleyes in every regard, other than loving live bait, but what fish doesnt'!?
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby Rainy River » Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:42 pm

I have watched countless Peacock bass videos including your wolf fish episode that recorded today. I see what you mean with the jerking action stirring up lots of noise. My goal is to catch one of these beautiful gems. One of my trips last summer in June was to Devils Lake, ND. Where I had the opportunity to catch a striped bass. It put up a much better fight then the Walleyes i was after. I guess the Peacock will be a check mark on my life list. I do tease those pesky walleyes, they are very finicky. But a nice hog makes a great picture. Last year at the Rainy River in April, we pushed through ice dams and froze ourselves all day for them. I guess we may be alike, fishing is in our blood. Well, Larry if you get sick of catching large fish you could take a trip to central Mn where i can get you on all the 14 inch Walleye/Bass you could handle. Maybe fighting them would help out the swore tendons heal. ha ha...

Thanks for all the info.
I will be sure to post more in the future.

Chris
Rainy River

Return to Freshwater Questions