bay boat

Questions about Freshwater Fishing

bay boat

Postby russ m » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:22 pm

Larry, I'm a 15 day a year die hard muskie fisherman...that of course means that most of my year is spent thinking about fishing, preparing to go fishing and rarely actually fishing...(because of wife, 3 year old son and work obligations)...anyway...I saw your recent show, where you used a saltwater bay boat to muskie fish...I always thought a bay boat would make a great muskie fishing machine...center console...room to run around the whole boat to figure 8 and fight fish, etc... Is there any reason that boats like that weren't previously thought of for fresh water? I've currently got a 2003 princecrat 18'...side console...with a 135 optimax on the back...its the same boat joe bucher was using before he recently switched to yarcraft. (found out princecraft cut there ad dollars) Its a pretty good boat...thick gunnels, reverse chines...deep v hull. Drafts kind of deep though. I've got to imagine that I could get shallower in that bay boat. What have your experience been like in the bay boat...any negatives?

Thanks again...keep up the great productions...by the way I like the "how to" segments where you show how to make baits and stuff...nice guitar/amp section in your house...reminds me of my little setup. For what its worth, you were always my fav infisherman guy back in the day. When I was a kid, I watched the "muskie!" video over and over and over again...there weren't too many shows about muskie fishing to watch back then.

Russ Mitera
Homer Glen, Illinois
russ m

Re: bay boat

Postby dahlberg » Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:03 pm

Hi Russ
Thanks for the post and kind words. IMO you are totally right about the center console..
The 24' bay boat, in my opinion has no negatives and as a casting platform capable of safely traversing big water under nasty circumstances will out perform anything currently being used. It's also great in small water because it has a relatively shallow (14-16") draft due to the large hull displaces less water. It's smoother, dryer, far more room, easier to land fish and figure 8 out of, safer, more comforable and as I said on the show, about $15,000 less expensive than a Ranger that's 20% smaller!
Plus standing up at the console is not only a better ride when it's rough, you have FAR better visibility in terms of seeing fish as you cruise along an edge, or seeing submerged reefs or floating logs before you run into them at 60 mph!
It's even got an onboard washdown system so you don't need a Hoover.
The only possible negative if your garage or pole shed is too small!
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby MuskyMan23 » Sun Mar 15, 2009 4:47 pm

Larry,
I also saw that show about the advantages of a bay boat vs. a Ranger 620. I grew up fishing out of an aluminum row boat with a 9.9 hp motor until 2005 when my parents called me at college and told me they had boat a Ranger. I was absolutely in amazement and have nothing but good things to say about Ranger boats. Fishing for Muskies off of a Ranger is unreal, especially in terms of a stable casting platform. I have now since graduated college as of last may and am now a graduate student at Mankato in southern minnesota. I don't make a lot of money, but I am going to get a second job and start to save up some money. I want to make my own waves in the Musky fishing world and buy my first Musky rig within the next year. Watching the episode about the center counsel model you were running made me interested, I saw you were running a skeeter which I believe comes out of the same factory as Rangers although I'm not for sure on that. What should a guy who is looking to save a little money begin to look for in a center counsel boat. Could I get away with something a little bit smaller and still have enough room to move around, most of the waters I fish in are less than 5,000 acres. Can you suggest a particular model. Thanks for the help, and definitely the best show on television, I look forward to watching your show whenever I get the chance. Joe
MuskyMan23

Postby dahlberg » Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:18 am

Hi H
No negatives on the bay boat other than figuring out how to get anti freeze into the washdown system before winter comes.
IMO anyone who fishes muskies out the the center console skeeter will be an instant convert because of it's overall performance both running and fishing.
They will then be pleasantly surprised at how much money (5 figures)they saved!
Ithie
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby openmeplease2 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:16 pm

if your looking for a boat on graigs list around your area or ebay
Landon Bostick age 10
openmeplease2

Return to Freshwater Questions