Great Lakes Walleye Boats

Questions about Freshwater Fishing

Great Lakes Walleye Boats

Postby dcstoicu » Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:20 pm

Hello I'm Dan and live near Detroit Michigan
I am getting ready to retire and want to buy a Walleye boat to tow to the eastern Mich. Great Lakes and Detroit and StClair rivers.
I currently own a triton bass boat and find it is too shallow to fish those areas.Getting too much water over the rails.
Money is a big issue and will probably have to buy a used boat. I would like something big enough for 5 people and easy to tow to the fishing areas.
Can you please give me an idea what to look for in a boat for these big waters.
Thank you Dan
dcstoicu

Re: Great Lakes Walleye Boats

Postby dahlberg » Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:36 am

Hi DC
I understand your situation. It's no fun getting drenched, and in the water you're fishing also possibly downright dangerous. There are alot of good ones, and in a boat for the water you're fishing, size does matter!.
Minimum 20', glass, deep V, but you no doubt already know that.
My best friend is the largest "big block" dealer in MN and I'd suggest you give him a call. Call 651 257 6334 and ask for Frankie. Tell him what your needs are and that I told you to call. He's got a whole bunch of walleye guys on his pro staff and now's the time that some really cherry trades come in. If you can zero in on a few options, he'll be on the lookout and just might make it worth your drive, or at least get you some ballpark numbers on what you're looking for so you can shop and negotiate with more confidence.
Retirement really sounds nice! Good for you, look out fish!!!
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby young_gun » Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:19 am

Hey dan,
i'm formally from Monroe Michigan but recently reloacted to the cadilac area. A good dependable boat i would recomend is a Trophy 20 or 19 foot series. these boats have alot of open space but deep side to provid protection from the trashing waves of Lake Erie. I know exactly how you feel, but you gotta admit nothing wakes you up better then the splash of a wave in the early morning.
$young_gun$
young_gun

Postby fishing is my life » Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:17 pm

hi dan,

i own a stratos. and i'll be honest, the brand of boat that is best for any great lake is a new LUND. i have a buddy that owns a lund, and he takes it out on the great lakes all the time. and he just loves it. its features are a deep hull. made of fiberglass. two livewells. alot of strage.and you can put basically any sized motor up to 170 hp on most of them. so in your case the deep hull means that little water will get inside the boat from waves. so just check it out and i think you'll be impressed.
fishing is my life

Return to Freshwater Questions